Summit vs API vs Olman

ADR

I have a summit viper elite sd (I think that's right) and a ol man climber. I like both but here's my 2 cents: summit- light (especially this model), simple, very sturdy, will grip any tree, reasonably comfortable, like the foot holds better
Ol man: quiet, very comfortable, folds flat, complex (too many safety devices and things to deal with), tree selection is a premium (doesn't even grip red oaks very well).
If you have any specific questions let me know.

Mike Belt

For every person you find that like one stand you'll find someone else who doesn't. I own them all and they're all good stands. If I had to have just 1 brand I'd keep my Ol'Man.

Tennessee Lead

I've got ol' man and Summit. Pros and Cons to both. My dad just bought a new Treewalker last week it came in 6 pounds heavier than advertised. He was a little disappointed at that.

Vermin93

Tennessee Lead said:
I've got ol' man and Summit. Pros and Cons to both. My dad just bought a new Treewalker last week it came in 6 pounds heavier than advertised. He was a little disappointed at that.

Your dad's Treewalker is pushing 24lbs? I will have to weigh mine now that you've mentioned that.

Jcalder

Tennessee Lead said:
He was almost upset over that. And he said getting ahold of them was a problem too until he left email wanting to buy one

Tennessee Lead

Vermin93 said:
Tennessee Lead said:

Your dad's Treewalker is pushing 24lbs? I will have to weigh mine now that you've mentioned that.
Yes weighed 24 pounds on certified scales and he recalibrated them twice and weighed the same every time.

Tennessee Lead

Jcalder said:
Tennessee Lead said:
He was almost upset over that. And he said getting ahold of them was a problem too until he left email wanting to buy one

Yes an email was the only way he was able to make contact.

longnosedoe

I have a tree walker also and it doesn't feel a pound heavier than it's advertised weight of 18 lbs. I also put a molle 2backpack system on it for long carries. Boy did that make a difference. Have hunted out of all the above mentioned and hands down prefer my tree walker. Simply awesome!!!!

Tennessee Lead

longnosedoe said:
I have a tree walker also and it doesn't feel a pound heavier than it's advertised weight of 18 lbs. I also put a molle 2backpack system on it for long carries. Boy did that make a difference. Have hunted out of all the above mentioned and hands down prefer my tree walker. Simply awesome!!!!

His didn't either compared to a 29 pound Ol' man but it was. Not sure if it was a mess up or all of them are like that. Anxious to hear from Vermin on the weight of his.

Vermin93

I have the Treewalker ProMag. The advertised weight is 19 lbs. As you can see in the picture, it has a removable shooting rail that can also serve as a backrest if you want to sit facing the tree. I rarely use the shooting rail rest unless I'm planning to hunt a location where I might have a relatively long shot.

I'm going to weigh my Treewalker in three stages. First, I will weigh the foot platform together with the seat platform because that would be the minimum configuration. Then I will add the shooting rail and see how much weight it adds to the setup. Last, I will add the chill pad and arm pad accessories and see how much weight they add. They are optional accessories that would not be included in the 19lb advertised weight, but I do use them whenever I use the stand. I should be able to weigh everything on Tuesday.

ProMag.jpg

Tennessee Lead

Yep that's the one looks exactly like yours in the pic except he doesn't have all the accessories just the rail. He's used it twice now said it is comfortable sitting.

feldmutze

I've got 2 of the Treewalker ProMags, along with a Summit Viper. This year I ditched the Summit seat/backrest and replaced with the web seat, similar to the Treewalkers....it was a great decision.

The Treewalkers are the best/most comfortable (and made here in Tennnesse, not China), although they absolutely eat up the tree. The pins with clips are tricky regarding noise. What's been other Treewalker owners solution to the noisy pins?

ffmedic

I have had all 3 of these at one time. There are advantages and disadvantages to each: IMO
Summit must be a little nose down to grip the tree really good. Lite and quick to setup. It slipped on my wife so it got traded
API (2) 1 older API- nose is best level or a tad up grips great and chains are very secure
2 new design API. The upright arms are angled towards the tree a little. The only downside of this one so far is it needs bigger trees to not twist.
Ol Man slips a lot generally squeaky due to so many moving parts and the new ones are expensive does fold flat which I like.
I currently have two API's (just traded a Viper for the second API) and a Loggy Bayou. Not sure of the model name of the Loggy it's the collapsible climber. I like the Loggy better then both APIs and the Summit Viper I had
One of the biggest issues I see between all climbers is the fact that they all climb a little different. Chains vs cables vs the solid v-bar.

Latest posts