Food Plots Summer food plot quandary

BSK

Those are my old plots (powerline right-of-ways) that have been turned with a tiller every fall for the last four years. Still rocky and cherty but the soil is loose and soft down about 4-5 inches. You don't want to try and drive a side-by-side across them after a 2-inch rain. You'll end up buried to the axles.

JCDEERMAN

I looked at sun hemp a year or two ago and had decided to go that route due to its benefits. When I started looking at costs, I was turned away. I believe I had a hard time finding a supplier as well. Where's the best place to find it? I'd love a pure stand of sun hemp on our new fields. I'd drill straight through that tall, nasty stuff in the fall, then spray and fertilize. Wowsers!

Hookem

you might plant a few fruit trees around the food plot edges. Make sure you get trees that cross pollinate. Once established very little work to keep them up.

BSK

you might plant a few fruit trees around the food plot edges. Make sure you get trees that cross pollinate. Once established very little work to keep them up.
Already have 100 native persimmon seedlings growing in pots that will be planted in sections and around the edges of plots, especially where the soil is too rocky to use as a long-term food plot.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
Popcorn (or others who have actually planted sunn hemp)...

I have steered away from it out of concerns the stems would be excessively fibrous... perhaps to the point of it bogging up a bushhog. Does it cut and chop easily?
I have mowed it early (to promote new weed or grass growth for spray that) with no problems. I have mowed late with no clogging issues other than needing to slow down due to volume of matter.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
I looked at sun hemp a year or two ago and had decided to go that route due to its benefits. When I started looking at costs, I was turned away. I believe I had a hard time finding a supplier as well. Where's the best place to find it? I'd love a pure stand of sun hemp on our new fields. I'd drill straight through that tall, nasty stuff in the fall, then spray and fertilize. Wowsers!
I use it in a blend so I am only planting at a 20% rate. I have gotten it from Nutrien in Hopkinsville KY , Kentucky American seed in Hopkinsville, KY, also from Green Cover Seed in a blend and pretty sure Ron G. At Montgomery county farmers coop can order it.
I do agree with drilling straight thru it as that will do wonderful things when it comes to weed control, soil moisture, soil temperatures and an eventual significant contribution of organic matter.

BSK

I have mowed it early (to promote new weed or grass growth for spray that) with no problems. I have mowed late with no clogging issues other than needing to slow down due to volume of matter.
Do you think sunn hemp would produce enough ground cover when mowed that I could broadcast seed my fall crop into the standing hemp and then mow down on the seed and get decent germination?

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Do you think sunn hemp would produce enough ground cover when mowed that I could broadcast seed my fall crop into the standing hemp and then mow down on the seed and get decent germination?
As a pure stand absolutely, in a blend yes as well. It will be growing at that point and will mow well. Sun hemp is a long season species that does not start seed set until near frost time in TN. That's why it does not become invasive and is purely an annual.
Watch your speed and height, adjust so your mower scatters the fodder rather than windrowing it. My experience is that small TPH mowers set low at high rpm's will clean the ground and windrow the matter.

JCDEERMAN

I use it in a blend so I am only planting at a 20% rate. I have gotten it from Nutrien in Hopkinsville KY , Kentucky American seed in Hopkinsville, KY, also from Green Cover Seed in a blend and pretty sure Ron G. At Montgomery county farmers coop can order it.
I do agree with drilling straight thru it as that will do wonderful things when it comes to weed control, soil moisture, soil temperatures and an eventual significant contribution of organic matter.
Awesome stuff. I'll do some calling to see. Thanks!

BSK

In my oldest, most established plots, I think I will still plant RR soybeans. However, sun hemp in the new plots. Those sun hemp plots will get planted early for fall (probably August), while I'll leave the RR soybean plots until late September before turning under and planting for fall. That way I won't be "cleaning the food plot table" all at once.

BSK

Popcorn, I bet you've heard the "cleaning the food plot table" warnings from Grant a number of times. I can't count the number of articles he and I wrote about that subject. I've just rarely followed my own advice!

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Popcorn, I bet you've heard the "cleaning the food plot table" warnings from Grant a number of times. I can't count the number of articles he and I wrote about that subject. I've just rarely followed my own advice!
Indeed.
That was an annual lesson.
At Hawkeye we had the perfect opportunity to avoid that circumstance but we're always racing the weather and calendar. That's the motivation behind rich, endless, diverse clover plots and roadsides. Never ever run out of food

BSK

At Hawkeye we had the perfect opportunity to avoid that circumstance but we're always racing the weather and calendar. That's the motivation behind rich, endless, diverse clover plots and roadsides. Never ever run out of food
If I had the food plot room to spare, I would definitely have some good perennial clover plots. I have some clients with a lot more food plot acreage that do wonders with good clover plots. Even on the rocky, dry ridge tops. Durana clover works great in those situations. Although perennial clover plots do take a lot of maintenance.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
If I had the food plot room to spare, I would definitely have some good perennial clover plots. I have some clients with a lot more food plot acreage that do wonders with good clover plots. Even on the rocky, dry ridge tops. Durana clover works great in those situations. Although perennial clover plots do take a lot of maintenance.
Have you ever considered a winter planting of balansa clover as an annual option ?
The august heat will kill it in time for fall planting but it is unreal the matter it creates.

BSK

Have you ever considered a winter planting of balansa clover as an annual option ?
The august heat will kill it in time for fall planting but it is unreal the matter it creates.
I have not. I generally want more in my fall plots than just clover because of the low volume of food produced by clover-only plots.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
I have not. I generally want more in my fall plots than just clover because of the low volume of food produced by clover-only plots.
I should have been more descriptive. After season, After your plots have been wiped out frost in the balansa clover. It is very cool weather tolerant so it will get a start early by early june it will reach knee high or better and begin to settle under its own weight. I have pulled it up by the tips and foundt it often thigh high to hip high. I planted it into cereal rye / turnip / radish plots and it choked out the rye. and then it was gone in time for the august planting. it does seed back but wont start till cool weather and your fall crop will have gotten well ahead of it by then. It produces a massive amount of food in a short period of time

BSK

I should have been more descriptive. After season, After your plots have been wiped out frost in the balansa clover. It is very cool weather tolerant so it will get a start early by early june it will reach knee high or better and begin to settle under its own weight. I have pulled it up by the tips and foundt it often thigh high to hip high. I planted it into cereal rye / turnip / radish plots and it choked out the rye. and then it was gone in time for the august planting. it does seed back but wont start till cool weather and your fall crop will have gotten well ahead of it by then. It produces a massive amount of food in a short period of time
How interesting. I'll have to look into that.

Any idea if it can handle acidic soils?

Latest posts