Stupid shrimp question

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
My buddy was talking the other day about wanting to try something different.
He asked me if I could batter and deep fry shrimp.
He don't like any shrimp other than fried.
I have never thought about it but why couldn't I batter up some shrimp just like I do my fish and fry them?

Would you egg / milk dip them?

FredRog72

First of all, are you certain the shrimp are stupid or are they just ignorant? Sorry, just left reading the baiting thread. LOL

I fry shrimp all the time and love them. I don't dredge them because I don't want a lot of batter so I mix some flour with seasonings I like and toss the shrimp in it. It's a preference thing. If you like a thicker batter then dredge first. The key is, don't overcook them. The oil needs to be fairly hot so they brown before they overcook. Really want some fried shrimp now!

TAFKAP

Dredge in flour, egg bath, then use unsweetened shredded coconut for the final coat

Top Chef Wow GIF by M6

waterman

just got through with some fresh shrimp brought back from South Carolina. we put them in a zip lock with house Autrey seafood breading, into the fridge for about 30 mins then panfry. dipped in some cocktail sauce that's heavy on the horseradish. good stuff.

Last edited:

BamaProud

Peel and devein shrimp, dry shrimp, season the shrimp, dunk small batches in egg and milk wash seasoned flour (or fish fry) skillet fry in hot oil turning once. Don't overcook.
Allow them to drain on paper towels or cardboard boxes. ( I use Coca-Cola flats)
Stash them in the oven on the lowest setting while the next batches are cooking.

cGCDBqF.jpg

DaveB

My shrimp consumption has dropped way down...I don't eat shrimp from India or Indonesia or Vietnam.

The taste of critters from those places is just not what a shrimp tastes like.

I've dragged a net in the Keys when the shrimp were running and know what fresh shrimp should taste like. I still have a de-veiner.

Pilchard

My shrimp consumption has dropped way down...I don't eat shrimp from India or Indonesia or Vietnam.

The taste of critters from those places is just not what a shrimp tastes like.

I've dragged a net in the Keys when the shrimp were running and know what fresh shrimp should taste like. I still have a de-veiner.
Nothing beats some fresh gulf pinks. My good friend is a seafood distributor and owns a dozen or so shrimp boats that operate between the Florida and Texas coasts. I was spoiled between the fresh fish I caught and the shrimp and crabs he gave me at cost.

Jon54

My buddy was talking the other day about wanting to try something different.
He asked me if I could batter and deep fry shrimp.
He don't like any shrimp other than fried.
I have never thought about it but why couldn't I batter up some shrimp just like I do my fish and fry them?

Would you egg / milk dip them?
Y wife does it often. She'll butterfly them, pull out the dark cord and go to good eatin'

Latest posts