Fresh shrimp question

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
There is no way that a shrimp is prepared that I have found yet that I do not like.
My best friend wants to deep fry some.
There is a place in Lone Oak that sells fresh shrimp from the gulf.
I have no idea if they are deveined or not. Might can buy them either way, dunno yet.
So how hard is it to devein one?

Omega

Very easy to do, they actually make a very cheap tool to do it with.
iu

TAFKAP

There is no way that a shrimp is prepared that I have found yet that I do not like.
My best friend wants to deep fry some.
There is a place in Lone Oak that sells fresh shrimp from the gulf.
I have no idea if they are deveined or not. Might can buy them either way, dunno yet.
So how hard is it to devein one?

Easy enough that I'm fine paying $4/lb less to do it myself. A paring knife, running water, and a little bit of time is all you need

Pilchard

If they are good(wild) shrimp, no need to devein them but some people get put off by the black line when eating.

Someone mentioned cleaning them under running water. This makes it easier but I'd recommend making a saltwater bath for cleaning as fresh water and seafood should never mix. The best is real seawater but a homemade saltwater slurry is ok. There is a noticeable difference in the finished product.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Are your shrimp head on or off? Peeled or shell on? How do you plan to cook them?
Headless and peeled.

Don't beat me too bad but planning on deep frying some. :D
My best friend wants some like that, and I do like them too.

I would eat them raw though, absolutely love shrimp LOL

Pilchard

Headless and peeled.

Don't beat me too bad but planning on deep frying some. :D
My best friend wants some like that, and I do like them too.

I would eat them raw though, absolutely love shrimp LOL
All good. If you are frying then go ahead and devein. If you were preparing a different way with shell on, then I would not peel and cook with shell and preferably heads on as well.

WTM

man that vein wont hurt you, gives it a little bite and texture
If they are good(wild) shrimp, no need to devein them but some people get put off by the black line when eating.

Someone mentioned cleaning them under running water. This makes it easier but I'd recommend making a saltwater bath for cleaning as fresh water and seafood should never mix. The best is real seawater but a homemade saltwater slurry is ok. There is a noticeable difference in the finished product.
i only eat shrimp thats got the wild gulf shrimp stamp on it. big difference in flavor vs the chinese, thailand sewer raised sheimp.

DaveB

Yes, stay away from Vietnam/India/Indonesia shrimp.

The red tool, I used to own about ten of them.

You should try chewing the little legs up instead of tossing them.

Am I the only one that eats the tails?

Trapper John

Yes, stay away from Vietnam/India/Indonesia shrimp.

The red tool, I used to own about ten of them.

You should try chewing the little legs up instead of tossing them.

Am I the only one that eats the tails?
I do eat the tails. Good flavor in those. At bare minimum I save those for stock.

shrimphead

there a man that come down to the mississippi coast and gets a truck load of fresh shrimp. i'm thinking he had a market around PARIS TENN.

Omega

I bought one of those a couple of years ago just to see how it worked, but always forget to use it.

I've always used a paring knife. It's easy, but it'll take you a while until you've done a few thousand.
They work good, will devein and peel in one shot if done right. Haven't used mine in quite sometime since most of the shrimp I get nowadays are already prepared when I get them.

DaveB

Hmm I use butter to fry them. Oil gets hot shrimps get rubbery.

Actually I like them boiled. I have a big strainer which fits a large pot just perfect. Get the water rolling fill strainer put strainer in potstarttimer mebbe 60 seconds if you dont overload the strainer. When you have the time and volume down to an art, once they are done throw them in another bucket of cold water.

Shrimp are not supposed to be chewy.

Forgot......If you fry them and drip real orange juice from an orange as they fry the taste will get your attention. Or lay slices on them. Super nice.
That tip is owed to Chaneylake

Latest posts