stuff like this just boggles my mind

WTM

Why did they dump them?
I must have missed that part.
looks like the nets ripped dumping the fish out. the way they explained it the fish die in the nets before they bring them aboard. looks like there should be limits on net size but idk.

it appears that these menhaden are the oceans fishes food source, kind of like the way shad are in KY lake.

scn

This industry is another fine example of the Golden Rule-those that have the gold make the rules.

They own the rules makers in DC. They are the biggest issue for the redfish population in the Gulf and several other sportfish populations. Not only do they have tremendous issues with bycatch, they are over harvesting one of the main food sources for a bunch of sport fish.

But, nothing will change as they buy off the regulators.

megalomaniac

Really sad thing is one of those pogy boat companies is not even American. This raping of our resources has been banned in most states, but still allowed in MS, LA, and TX. Lots of petitions going around now down here to slow them down, but like SCN said, it's all about the $$$ and the politicians are bought and paid for.

Pilchard

This industry is another fine example of the Golden Rule-those that have the gold make the rules.

They own the rules makers in DC. They are the biggest issue for the redfish population in the Gulf and several other sportfish populations. Not only do they have tremendous issues with bycatch, they are over harvesting one of the main food sources for a bunch of sport fish.

But, nothing will change as they buy off the regulators.
I used to think nothing would change about the lake O discharges ruining the fishery I loved so much but look at what CFCW has accomplished in such a short time.

The pogy boats have to go. Unfortunately it will require a grassroots effort which means the guides in the area will need to start educating their clients.

This is a tough sell because so many out of staters go to LA to fill coolers and bring home fish. Unfortunately I think it will require a collapse of the fishery before anyone steps up. It's what happened in FL.

Latest posts