After 40 years of just a flyrod….

7mm08

And I have never used a bait caster, I'm liking a spinning rod with a cork and a mudminnow on windy days!

32" 13# red on a slow day.

IMG_4791.jpeg

Omega

Never warmed up to bait casters, and haven't done any fly fishing in decades. I've caught just about any fish with a spinning reel, so never tried to get good with anything else.

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
I love my spinning reels. Have never tried a fly rod, bait casters I always wound up spending more time picking tangles and birds nests out of the line than fishing.

wildside

spinning fan myself if going dark side...I can use bait casters but have never seen the advantage. Great fish by the way...

WTM

some of you guys helped me out with fly rod basics a half dozen years ago, big thanks. i figured out a pattern for bedding crappie a few years back. more effecient and better presentation than my spinning gear. same for bluegill and shellcrackers.

redblood

some of you guys helped me out with fly rod basics a half dozen years ago, big thanks. i figured out a pattern for bedding crappie a few years back. more effecient and better presentation than my spinning gear. same for bluegill and shellcrackers.

would love to hear about how that works!!

megalomaniac

Personally i have a disdain for popping corks and won't use them. Not that they aren't effective, I just can't stand them.

I'll use live bait once or twice a year when water temps get close to 90, but I freeline live croakers.

I bet you could tail hook the mud minnow, freeline him, and do even better than with the popping cork.

mike243

I can use any type of rod and reel, No way I could be stuck on any 1 method to fish, would you use a high power rifle for squirrel? I'm not sure what folks idea that you have to use bait casters for bass? have caught them with spinning rods as often as bait casters. Also the lowley Zebo accounted for some back in the day. I can also backlash any of them lol, I back lashed 2 in the same day due to worn out gears, they were my uncle's and had been casted a million times. Go to set the hook and they went into free spool ,went back to my spinning reel and no more messes that day.

WTM

would love to hear about how that works!!

mainly use it during the spawn and post spawn black crappies before they go back offshore in the summer. mostly catch males from 1-8 feet of water along logs, stumps and laydowns in pocket water and sometimes along the flats. we have a bunch of sunken logs where i fish and they are magnets during the spawn.

i use a 6wt with the trout line that came with it and weighted wooly bugs. ive started using this fly pattern and like it better. less than a dollar to tie and easy enough to tie it with vice grips. i just add a tungsten bead and some lead wire. the beauty of it the bait doesnt nose dive like a jig, stays horizontal and keep it in the zone longer. itll sink but its kind of semi-bouyant. i can pick up 20ft of line and shoot to 30ft fairly easy with one cast. with a spinning reel i have to reel all the way back to the boat and recast and with slip floats i think it spooks fish.

Latest posts