Just one of those days

megalomaniac

Had a hard time putting any pattern together, and couldn't button up the fish that did hit this morn. Started off by trying to boat flip a 19in red. Guess its been a while since i retied, as the line broke at the lure. Worked out to the rock jetties, and had something with teeth cut off my weighted 6in fluke. Hit a couple more spots on the jetties, then switched to topwater. 2nd cast with a brand new $14 Mansfield Knocker and something HUGE exploded on it. Yup, broke line. Not sure if it was a giant bull red, an alligator gar, or a shark... but it was in the 3 to 4 ft range.

Bounced in and out of the marsh and caught some short trout. Decided to go way skinny and look for tailing reds. Found a couple on a mud flat, but they wouldnt hit my jig for anything. I decided to see how close i could get to them in the skiff, and i was able to sneak up to 6 or 7 ft before they spooked. Both were carbon copies of one another... somewhere between 27 and 30 in. Whatever was under the mud, they were sure focused on it. By now it's 10am, and my box is empty. Plus it's 105 heat index...

BUT the tide was due to start falling at 1030 and the major feeding period was right after that. I decided to go back where I started the day and picked up 4 flounder (largest 19in), plus a 16in trout in the first 45 min after tide change. Caught another 6 or 7 short trout, and lost another flounder at the boat. By noon, I think the heat index was into the 110s, and I was about spent.

At least I was able to scratch out enough for a couple suppers, and it sure was a beautiful day despite the heat. Headed back there was a jet skiier running the marshes like the indy 500... thats a first for me to see one of those in there.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230701_180354_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230701_180354_Gallery.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 69

Latest posts