Anybody have something like this happen before?

Pilchard

Somebody mentioned a worm weight in another thread and it immediately made me think of this.

When I was a kid we lived on a golf course in Florida for a few years. We had a golf cart that I would take to the ponds to bass fish. One evening I was throwing a worm on a bullet weight and it got snagged on a rock about 6 inches under the surface.

I couldn't walk to the other side of the snag to get it loose so I just started pulling trying to break it off. I was using a rod I snook fished with so I think I had 17 or 20lb mono on a baitcaster.

I couldn't get the line to break so I got the bright idea to thumb the spool and walk backwards down the bank. The line stretched until it was about to break but instead of breaking, the hook straightened.

The weight and rest if my rig came flying back like a rifle shot and whacked me right in the sack. I went down and rolled down the bank and was incapacitated for about 5 minutes.

Specializedjon

I was fishin with my brother when we were 8 & 10, line got snagged on something so I jerked it and it came flying outta the water. Didn't know where it went so I started jerkin on it and heard my brother screaming...jerked a little more and the screaming increased...turns out, the hook snagged his upper eyelid :oops: and I almost ripped it off 😂

Funny story now, to me, but back then you woulda thought he was gonna die. Mom and Dad weren't happy with me to say the least.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Not in the sack but I've been hit in the face or chest. I think someone here posted a picture a few years back about someone "snagging" with a treble hook and it came out of the fish and hit him in the eye. It was downright gruesome looking and if I'm not mistaken which I may be I think @RUGER posted it.
Yep, that was tough for sure.
They tried for several months to save it but he ultimately lost his eye.

mike243

Me and a buddy were crappie fishing 1 morning after unsuccessful turkey hunt, he was using a minnow and float, he got hunt up and went to whipping it, well it came loose and came back at us twirling, before I could do anything it hooked me in the lip, I just knew he was going to set the hook 😂 it was years ago and those hooks were not as sharp as they are today or it would have been barb buried deep

Omega

Not a snag but a rebound, I side armed a cast toward the shore and hit a tree trunk which shot it right back at me, hitting me in the shin. The hook went in pretty deep, and I had to push it the remaining distance to get to the barb and cut it off. Made me lightheaded seeing the skin raise up before the hook came through. Buddy I had with me said I turned a bit pale when I was doing it. But I got it out and had an extra hook to get it back out there since it had been THE hot lure of the day.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Here ya go fellas.
This is my buddy.
I went "snaggin" at Reelfoot and came in to work that Monday talking about how fun it was.
Snagging a 30+ pound carp and dragging them in on almost every cast.
He took a half day of vacation, went and got their son and they headed out.
He had one and was pulling on it to slide it up the bank and out of the mud when the hook came out of the fish and hit him.
Refused to ride in a helicopter so they had to carry him via ambulance from Samburg to Jackson.
He ultimately lost his eye due to infection.

I really felt bad, and responsible in a way.

WARNING, the following picture is very graphic.

Seriously, don't look if you are easily sickened.
hookeye.jpg

TRIGGER

Yep had a bullet weight and hook come back and hit me in the ribs on the side under my arm. My arm was up a little. I had turned my head because I knew it was a possibility. It stung so bad I knew the hook was buried. I looked at my buddy and told him he was going to have to pull it out. After a few minutes I got the nerve up to move my arm to look at it and the hook and weight hit the floor. I didn't get hooked but man that sucked.

Tenntrapper

I can't find it online, but I remember seeing a video about two guys fishing on a dock or pier or something. I think the guy was using a zaraspook or something like it. Something happened and the lure came flying back...just as his buddy opened his mouth to say something. Went straight to the back of his throat and reflex caused him to automatically swallow. That thing was stuck away down in his throat. I believe they had to surgically remove it.

Smo

I've never had a worm weight come back at me but years ago I would fish those 4" Slider worms and the hook would straighten on those and then the jig head was airborne and coming back too the boat!
Lots of fun at night!😎

I almost knocked myself out once while snagging below Wilson dam..

Standing on the front deck, snatch & reel, snatch &reel … guess I was paying attention & 3 giant treble hooks and a 6-8 oz sinker were headed my way…
Luckily the only thing that made contact was the sinker…. Right between my eyes!👀

Fortunately it hit the nose piece on my shades & didn't break the skin, but I did see stars for a minute or two…🤣

redblood

fishing with my son always requires my glasses and cowboy hat. it has not required wearing a cup yet but he mainly gets hung in trees.

i siphered on snagging carp but after seeing ruger's buddies pic i decided against.
I need to wear safety glasses when fishing with son too. Our boat has 3 holes for fishing seats in the front. He likes watching the forward facing sonar too so hes up there with me. He is a violent caster. To be such an incredible athlete and accurate shooter in basketball, his casting is all over the place. Im afraid im gonna lose a retina soon. I hear his casts whip by me all the time

DayDay

2-Step Enabled
I was fishing from the back seat of a short, two-person fishing boat with swivel seats. My buddy in front came close to me with his big treble-hook crankbait when he drew back and cast. I told him that he was about to hit me and he needed to make sure to cast to the side. A little bit later he did it again but dug his crankbait into my back when he tried to sling it forward off the backswing.

It scared me for a moment before I realized that the hooks had dug into the insulation of my jacket and not into me. It really scared my buddy; he was afraid to turn around to look. At least he got a huge backlash out of the deal.

Last edited:

TN Larry

I need to wear safety glasses when fishing with son too. Our boat has 3 holes for fishing seats in the front. He likes watching the forward facing sonar too so hes up there with me. He is a violent caster. To be such an incredible athlete and accurate shooter in basketball, his casting is all over the place. Im afraid im gonna lose a retina soon. I hear his casts whip by me all the time
Don't give him an Alabama rig or you'll look like what my son did to me a couple years ago. Lol. We were both on the front deck and I stepped back fighting a fish. He stepped into my spot and buried two heavy duty hooks into me on the back swing of his cast. That ended our fishy trip that day. :)

92AEE51E-111E-454D-9197-98EDEFC968EF.jpeg

tellico4x4

I grew up on Barren Fork River as it was our backyard. When I was 12-13 yrs old some of us kids took up fly fishing. Most had elcheapo bamboo rods & single action reels. Brim were bedding & we ditched the flys for hooks & nightcrawlers, but still tried to use the fly rod "action". I was making a back cast and a kid walked behind me. First pierce ear I ever saw on a male with a big ole crawler on it to boot 😂

WTM

probably need some screen protectors for your electronics too.

Lt.Dan

Here ya go fellas.
This is my buddy.
I went "snaggin" at Reelfoot and came in to work that Monday talking about how fun it was.
Snagging a 30+ pound carp and dragging them in on almost every cast.
He took a half day of vacation, went and got their son and they headed out.
He had one and was pulling on it to slide it up the bank and out of the mud when the hook came out of the fish and hit him.
Refused to ride in a helicopter so they had to carry him via ambulance from Samburg to Jackson.
He ultimately lost his eye due to infection.
Makes getting snagged in the elbow by my brother seem very tame in comparison.