Strange year for sightings...freezer still empty...Update

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
I have seen very few deer this year, and not just from the stand. Places that I would always see tons of deer while driving, now either have none or just a few. The only place I've seen the same or more is on my own farm, and I'm saving all those for my girls to shoot. Anyone else hunting in Hickman County seeing the same thing? Has EHD hit here too? I know it's been warm, but it's been warm at times in past years too.

duckriver

Re: Strange year for sightings...freezer still empty

I haven't heard of it hitting around here this year but after this weather today I'd think the sightings will go up

rem270

I know EHD was bad but I think folks are blowing it way out of proportion and blaming it on not seeing deer etc. Last year was probably the worst year of deer sightings ever. I remember 08 was really bad also so not sure which was worse. No EHD outbreaks around here either years. Just part of it I guess.

Winchester

rem270":36s48pu2 said:
I know EHD was bad but I think folks are blowing it way out of proportion and blaming it on not seeing deer etc. Last year was probably the worst year of deer sightings ever. I remember 08 was really bad also so not sure which was worse. No EHD outbreaks around here either years. Just part of it I guess.
Im not sure what area(s) your talking about, but to start with, 2007 was the worst wide spread outbreak of EHD in recent history, hence making the following yrs 08-10 down for sightings in many areas. 2012 saw a noticeable number of EHD deaths as well.
As for this yr 2017 EHD has hit REALLY hard in some East Tn counties killing a ton of deer.
Hunting here in East TN has been great the last 2 seasons with the best visible rut in many yrs.
All that said the Weather has been absolutely terrible for the majority of deer season so far, imo resulting in the hunting being really slow in addition to the areas with EHD die offs.
I do think however its about to blow open if the weather forecast holds for the next week or so.

rem270

Winchester":dbiyyias said:
rem270":dbiyyias said:
Im not sure what area(s) your talking about, but to start with, 2007 was the worst wide spread outbreak of EHD in recent history, hence making the following yrs 08-10 down for sightings in many areas. 2012 saw a noticeable number of EHD deaths as well.
As for this yr 2017 EHD has hit REALLY hard in some East Tn counties killing a ton of deer.
Hunting here in East TN has been great the last 2 seasons with the best visible rut in many yrs.
All that said the Weather has been absolutely terrible for the majority of deer season so far, imo resulting in the hunting being really slow in addition to the areas with EHD die offs.
I do think however its about to blow open if the weather forecast holds for the next week or so.
I'm talking Western Ky. I know East TN has been drilled this year and then in years past. So for deer sightings to be down in some counties there I could see a valid argument.

I've seen lots of folks this year find a dead deer on the side of the road and holler EHD, even in a county with very minimum to no EHD outbreaks. Once that word gets out every dead deer found tends to have EHD death behind it. Not throwing that at anyone here at all but most of these other sites that's all I hear about.

I think weather is the biggest factor over anything. I blame it on the weather last year is why I had a down year of deer sightings. But it did pick up some mid December.

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled

I wasn't saying it IS EHD, but it's just so weird that the number of deer I've seen (including summer) is so far down from what I've seen before. Just asking the question if any other that hunted here head of it being in Hickman.

Smo

I agree with poor hunter.

I travel a lot down hwy 13 through Humphreys, Perry and Wayne Counties.

Atleast two trips a month back and forth, my sightings are way down.

Here in Humphreys I know a couple place you can drive by right before dark and see 20 to 30 in the fields.

But I'm not seeing the numbers of deer I have in the past in other areas.

Including my on place. But I have found no evidence of EHD.

duckduck84

I saw plenty of deer last year driving, not too many on our land. I've seen alot of tracks and sign this year so far. One hunt with no sightings but it was really warm. I think Friday will be different. Maybe my new cameras will tell what is really around, but we haven't seen any EHD signs in Hardeman that I'm aware of.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Bgoodman30

Smo":27hsseh7 said:
I agree with poor hunter.

I travel a lot down hwy 13 through Humphreys, Perry and Wayne Counties.

Atleast two trips a month back and forth, my sightings are way down.

Here in Humphreys I know a couple place you can drive by right before dark and see 20 to 30 in the fields.

But I'm not seeing the numbers of deer I have in the past in other areas.

Including my on place. But I have found no evidence of EHD.

Saturday was my first sit ever on our place to not even see a deer. I heard that activity really picked up today. I always see more deer on Nov 11th then any day of the year, never fails...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Stu

Years past ive never seen many deer at my place. The rut always proved at least to a few bucks but this year out of nowhere i have more deer than ever. Seeing 20 a day and 4 or 5 bucks seems to be the norm. Hasnt been this way for 10 years. I hope it continues.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

MarshallCountyChestnut

I've had the same experience in Marshall County this year. Sightings have been slim. I've been hoping it's just the unusually warm weather and low calorie needs of the deer that's keeping them laid up, and not EHD or something. The adjacent land owners have been experiencing the same thing. Last year was the most pronounced rut I've seen since I bought my property. I'm hoping with the weather cooling down and the rut coming on, things will be back to "normal".

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
Re: Strange year for sightings...freezer still empty...Updat

Talk about strange. Got home yesterday at 405, and had to load some lumber off the sawmill to deliver to a friend. Took maybe 10 minutes and I was off. When I got to my pasture there were 8 does feeding peacefully! I have seen deer there, but never more than 2-3 and never in daylight. Looking forward to Veterans Day!

Latest posts