Strange Deer Actions

slabhead

Saturday morning I had a racked buck run by my stand pretty much wide open, he was moving. All I could tell was he had a rack. I could see him probably about 300 yds and he never let up just kept running like something was after him. I expected to see a pack of coyotes or dogs or something, but no nothing. After my hunt I talked to my son who was hunting the opposite end of the property, we were about as far apart as you can be on this property, I'd say at least 1/2 mile straight line, this is wooded, select cut grown up with briar and bushes, kind of thick in places, no fields...he told me that a buck ran by him full speed and never checked up. I know it was the same one that came by me, so that dude ran at least 1/2 mile through the woods. Why? Nothing was chasing him, and he wasn't chasing anything, he was in a dead run from one end of our property to the other. That just seems strange he'd run that distance and keep going.

Hymie3

I've seen two does with their tail at a 45 degree angle and raising their necks up and twisting it around like a swan dance. I've seen the tails raised a lot but the neck dancing thing is new to me…..

7mm08

Saturday morning I had a racked buck run by my stand pretty much wide open, he was moving. All I could tell was he had a rack. I could see him probably about 300 yds and he never let up just kept running like something was after him. I expected to see a pack of coyotes or dogs or something, but no nothing. After my hunt I talked to my son who was hunting the opposite end of the property, we were about as far apart as you can be on this property, I'd say at least 1/2 mile straight line, this is wooded, select cut grown up with briar and bushes, kind of thick in places, no fields...he told me that a buck ran by him full speed and never checked up. I know it was the same one that came by me, so that dude ran at least 1/2 mile through the woods. Why? Nothing was chasing him, and he wasn't chasing anything, he was in a dead run from one end of our property to the other. That just seems strange he'd run that distance and keep going.
Buck equivalent of a COLD SHOWER?

slabhead

Yeah, just seems odd that he seemed to have ran for at least 1/2 mile maybe even nonstop. He ran by my son first...he said he heard him coming like a freight train through the brush, and same thing when he came by me. He was definitely running that long for a reason just not sure what it was.

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
I had one come through Friday morning with the wind at his back traveling with the wind, not into it. Couldn't get a shot at him because of a limb and where he was.

Snake

Maybe a bigger Buck ran him off ??
Hunting Giles Co once heard an awful racket in the hollow on the other property to my left . I could hear a deer bahhing and running full speed . A small buck jumped the fence with a decent buck in tow on to our property and came right by my permanent stand . The smaller buck was bellowing at the top of his lungs with the larger one ears back right on his tail . Couldn't get a shot off at the bigger buck but they ran all over our property on to the other property down to my right . I was hoping to see the larger one catch the smaller one but he wasnt having that .

fairchaser

Sometimes when a mature buck gets jumped from his bed, he high tails it to his other bed. The safest method is to run full out through thick woods. They will not stop even if you yell at them. You can't hit one even if you shoot at them .

Ski

Hunting Giles Co once heard an awful racket in the hollow on the other property to my left . I could hear a deer bahhing and running full speed . A small buck jumped the fence with a decent buck in tow on to our property and came right by my permanent stand . The smaller buck was bellowing at the top of his lungs with the larger one ears back right on his tail . Couldn't get a shot off at the bigger buck but they ran all over our property on to the other property down to my right . I was hoping to see the larger one catch the smaller one but he wasnt having that .

Sounds like a LMN movie about the Boy Scouts 😬

RockMcL

L
Ladies night at the Next Hollow Bar ❤?