steak thickness

Rusty Nail

Thanks for the advice with the question 'bout cooking ribs. Can't wait to try 'em out. Next question: I've been getting my processor to cut my deer steaks pretty standard width. Whatever that is - maybe 1/2" thick. Has anybody done thicker than that and have you had any problem in grilling a thick steak? I was thinking like the pictures you see on the Ruth Cris advertisements. I'm already planning on how to stock the freezer this next season. Hope I'm not disappointed.

A

Anonymous

venison tends to be a little harder to cook medium well or well than beef....i would stay with 1/2" or 1" max.......come on deer season!!!....my freezer grows thin.

Boone 58

I cook deer thin......easier to get right. But with back staps i leave whole and wrap in bacon....
Out of this world!

Brock H

Two inches thick, sear the outsides in butter and oil, finish in the oven until rare to medium rare.
I like to take the tenderloins or the back straps whole and cook them that way as well. With the tenderlions I'll deglaze the pan with a lemon or a lime and then use that to pour over the meat after letting it rest. I'm getting hungry and I've been out of venison for about 2 months now. Saturday couldn't come fast enough!!!!!