Steak and Salt

westtntoms

Wildcat,

I've tried the steak with salt method twice now. The steak is very tender, but I can't get rid of the salty taste. I rinsed good both times....any suggestions? I rarely use any extra salt with any foods so maybe my taste buds are just sensitive.

farmin68

westtntoms said:
Wildcat,

I've tried the steak with salt method twice now. The steak is very tender, but I can't get rid of the salty taste. I rinsed good both times....any suggestions? I rarely use any extra salt with any foods so maybe my taste buds are just sensitive.

You might cut the time in salt in half and see how that goes. If it's not too salty, next time try maybe 40 minutes. Might not be quite as tender, but it would beat not doing it at all.

Wildcat

Please try what farmin said. You are the first to tell me it was too salty. I myself do not like a lot of salt, my brother on the other hand uses twice as much as I do on his food but I have never had a problem with those steaks.

Do you use any steak sauce or anything else to season them with like a steak rub? Remember both steak sauces and seasonings have a lot of salt in them and I posted if you use this method do not add any more salt. You can get different sauces and seasonings without salt or less salt. I used to use a certain steak sauce and seasoning but had to swich to no salt once I started using this method.

bowriter

R.I.P.
You are leaving it in the salt too long. You can also reduce the salty taste by sprinking well with lemon juice. I myself do not like to salt steak until getting ready to eat it. Draws out too much blood.

TennesseeRains

IF...I ever get to eat a steak again...I'm gonna try WC's method for sure.

Oh, WC - Louie, the DEMON DOG...ATE my ThermaPen!!!

I am assured that by Father's Day, a replacement will be in my hands.

Wildcat

TennesseeRains said:
IF...I ever get to eat a steak again...I'm gonna try WC's method for sure.

Oh, WC - Louie, the DEMON DOG...ATE my ThermaPen!!!

I am assured that by Father's Day, a replacement will be in my hands.

You have to be kidding me. That thing cost $100. When you get a new one you need to put it in a safe place. I take as much care of mine as I do one of my handguns.

farmin68

bowriter said:
You are leaving it in the salt too long. You can also reduce the salty taste by sprinking well with lemon juice. I myself do not like to salt steak until getting ready to eat it. Draws out too much blood.

Bowriter, I don't know what it is about Wildcat's method, but it doesn't draw the blood out. Probably because the salt is rinsed off very well and patted dry before cooking.

TennesseeRains

Wildcat said:
You have to be kidding me. That thing cost $100. When you get a new one you need to put it in a safe place. I take as much care of mine as I do one of my handguns.

NOPE.

I really don't know just how he got hold of it...all I know at this point is that it was chewed up and wouldn't work.

Boys - IF you grill, and can't see color all that well - GET YOU A THERMAPEN!!!

greendoe and Wildcat KNOW what they are posting about!

Just keep it out of a retarded dog's mouth....

Latest posts