Starter battery problem since new fishfinder added

KatManDew

I got a Lowrance HDS-8 unit this past spring and a new starter battery a couple months earlier. I constantly get the warning on my HDS unit that my battery has less than 11v. Wondering if I need a certain level of amps in my starting battery now that I run my HDS off of it? Been having to turn my HDS off because I'm afraid of draining my battery. Anyone run into this before?

AllOutdoors

May be a bad battery. Is your battery a true starting battery. You may need a battery designated DP (dual purpose). With the constant use of electronics, and lights in my boat, I had to get a dual purpose battery. The regular starting battery would pull down during a fishing trip. I know several guys that have gone strictly to deep cycle batteries for starting.

KatManDew

It's a dual purpose. Only a year old, but its a low line one from autozone. Did some reading and apparently you need to pay more attention to reserve capacity with these units. 150-200 minutes reserve is necessary.

ad28, what brand battery do you run it off of, and is it on the same battery as your engine, live well, and other electronics?

Latest posts