Stalking Question

jlmustain

I have a rough time balancing watching where I'm stepping and looking for deer. I'd rather be looking for deer, obviously, but I keep trying to watch the ground to keep from stepping on sticks. Any tips?

Winchester

Unless the conditions are right, its tough, such as dry leaves on a calm and quiet day. I personally wait for good conditions or situations. Wet leaves, wind blowing, raining, etc. All make stalking much more practicle.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
I was taught take 3 steps stop look listen do a 360* scan then pick your next spot to stop take 3 steps.Pick the least noisy path before you take 3 steps.

Crosshairy

In addition to Winchester's comments, I'll add that I've had great success with stalk/still hunting while toting a tall style Primos "trigger stick" monopod in areas with no trees for shooting rests. The biggest benefit for me has been to strap the stick to the gun so that it's supported every time I stop. At that point, if I see deer activity, I can keep the gun shouldered and aimed indefinitely without tiring my arms. Prior to using this approach, I'd often lose staring contests with deer locked up behind brush, who would see me lower my gun and then bust me.

This year I've killed 2 deer and a coyote while hunting from the ground with the stick.

In general, unless it is pretty open with damp ground, I would walk less and look more, as movement is definitely your enemy.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
Winchester said:
Unless the conditions are right, its tough, such as dry leaves on a calm and quiet day. I personally wait for good conditions or situations. Wet leaves, wind blowing, raining, etc. All make stalking much more practical.
Wind in my face or a light drizzle are the only truly successful intentional stalks I've had. Any other kills were just Luck walking in to or away from a stand slowly and quietly .

Latest posts