St. Augustine Shrimp & SAUCE

TennesseeRains

...So, anybody who hasn't been to St. Augustine is missing out!

About the BEST is O'Steen's fried shrimp! Here goes:

Shrimp:

36 extra-large shrimp (deveined and butterflied is best)
2 eggs
1/4 cup water
1 cup craker meal
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Peanut Oil

Mix eggs with the water.
Combine cracker meal, flour, salt, and pepper.
Heat oil to 350 degrees...skillet or deep fryer.
Dip shrimp, one at a time, in egg misture...drain excess, then coat evenly with cracker mixture.
Cook shrimp in batches about 2-3 minutes until golden brown...DO NOT OVERCOOK!
Drain or soak excess oil with paper towels.

SAUCE:

*Makes 2 Cups*

1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup ketchup (I like Hunts)
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce (the real stuff)
3 tablespoons horseradish
1 1/2 tablespoons LOUISIANA HOT SAUCE (NO substitutions here)

Mix well, chill, and serve cold with fried shrimp!

This 'pink' sauce makes all the difference!!!

green doe

Why do you say "3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce (the real stuff)"? What's the fake stuff?

That recipe sounds wonderful. I like the idea of all that cracker meal. It sounds like the stuff we'd get in Chicago. I know it sounds funny (Chicago) but they have these little places that serve great fried shrimp.

Would that sauce do well with shrimp cocktail or does it need the breading to temper it?

TennesseeRains

Green Doe - the sauce is great with shrimp cocktail!!!

As for the 'real stuff'...I prefer Lea & Perrins - but not the USA made product (sorry), opting for the British original. The American version uses distilled white vinegar and high fructose corn syrup; while the British version has malt vinegar and sugar.

The main difference is that the American is sweeter and not near as spicy...I like spice - and don't eat sweets much at all, so this is why I prefer the 'real' stuff... :)

My aunt lives in England and that's how I came to know the difference; the 'real' is labeled: 'The Original & Genuine Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce'.

green doe

Re: St. Augustine Shrimp & SAUCE

Interesting, TR. I had to go check what I had in the fridge - the original Lea & Perrins or the American one. Turns out I have Heinz instead! I don't use it much because it gives my husband intestinal distress. But he doesn't eat shrimp anyway so I'll buy the good stuff when I buy the shrimp.

Thanks for the recipe. Can't wait to try it. And thanks for the education, too.

TennesseeRains

Heinz owns L&P now; has for several years now.

Fortunately, the 'original and genuine' has remained the same. I

All that globalization stuff I reackon.

Nothing against Heinz (at least in this forum)...but I only use Hunt's Ketchup myself...but it, too, has been acquired by a much larger conglomeration...

I promise ya though....dip either a fried shrimp - or a cocktail one - in that pink sauce, and you'll never want anything else...

:)

Be best if ya went to St. Augustine and had it though!

green doe

Re: St. Augustine Shrimp & SAUCE

I made the sauce and it was quite good. Unfortunately, I had no patience so I didn't let it "steep" in the fridge; I ate it right away. I prefer a strong horseradish taste and it didn't have enough but I wonder if it wouldn't have been stronger had I let it sit.

I'm definitely making it again. Thanks for sharing that! Now I have to make the fried shrimp. :)