Sauce piquante

BamaProud

Anyone got a good recipe? I've cooked it a couple times before just using parts of various recipes I found on line.

Just wondering if anyone has a solid traditional recipe that they would be willing to share.

TAFKAP

Never had it, so I can't speak to its authenticity. Hank Shaw also has a tendency to let his adaptations stray beyond the original intent. But here is a starting point for you

WTM

depends on what you call traditional i guess. most all Acadian food is simpler than creole style. still then traditional cajun recipes are going to be slighly different from parish to parish.

but her ya go, a traditional cajun recipe for sauce piquant.

3/4 flour 3/4 oil to make a brown roux
2lbs meat fried in butter, drained
1 cup of celery, onion,bell pepper
about 2qts stock or water
1 can tomatoe sauce
small can sliced mushrooms or bits and pieces
pinch of sugar
cajun seasoning and hot sauce

brown meat and drain. make the roux and add trinity to cook a bit then dump in pot with meat. add the rest of the ingredients stir and bring to boil. turn to low and simmer to everything is tender.

a lot of recipes use mushroom sauce or mushroom steak sauce instead of or with the roux and mushrooms.

if bowriter was still alive he would probably recommend a can of rotel tomatoes with chilis instead of cayenne or hot sauce. miss that dude.

BamaProud

I made it yesterday. Very close to the Recipe WTM posted. In my internet research, I was surprised how many recipes called for rotel.

It was good, but I'm not sure I would waste any prime meats on it. I think you could just use store bought frozen shrimp/fish/chicken etc... to make the dish.