Squirrel limit tips.... (long read)

MidTennFisher

Thanks for the info, this was a great read. When I was younger I'd hunt every year with my Father during the "winter" we had in Florida. At some point I lost interest in hunting and became a fishing fanatic. I've recently wanted to get back into hunting and small game is a great stepping stone. Squirrels are everywhere so I should have almost unlimited opportunity to take a .22 and go have some fun.

I'm really looking forward to this year's squirrel hunting. My Father and I have tentative plans to hunt opening morning but if not, we'll go soon after. They sure are some tasty critters cooked overnight in a crockpot in my wife's homemade chicken stock! :grin:

woodsman87

I like many of you grew up learning to hunt by squirrel hunting. It is enjoyable, but now I only squirrel hunt with dogs.

I think small game hunting is the best way to introduce young and new people to the sport of hunting. But more specifically, I think squirrel is the best. Squirrels are pretty much everywhere, long season, and it requires many different skill sets, but I add that these skill sets are not hard to achieve.

The main reason I choose squirrel to introduce kids is because you don't have to have a bunch of land, time, or a good dog to do it.
Rabbit hunting is also very fun, but tough to do without good dogs and good land.
Dove hunting is all about having a good dove field.
Quail hunting, well, there aren't many quail out there these days.
Coon hunting is too tough for many youngsters.

Squirrel hunting can be done with or without dogs, and both types are enjoyable.

woodsman87

And I agree with all of your tips redblood for limiting out on squirrels in early season. It's all about the hickorys, but also walnuts can be good spots too.

When using dogs, of course it is very hard in early season because all of the leaves. No way to make it easier then to just get lucky and see them sometimes. Early season I try to stick to young hardwoods, and even better cedar and pine thickets. It is hard to see squirrels in cedar and pines, but, it is easier to see squirrels in cedars than a big green leafed hickory tree.

With a good dog, you can just about get a limit every outing during the mid-late november time range when the weather is good. I hunt mainly in mature oak and hickory woods. Only issues you have is some of the oak trees haven't completely lost their leaves some years. The month of December is also good, but not as good as November. I also stay out of hackberry woods, for every hackberry I have ever seen had a hollow spot somewhere in it.

On most years, January and first half of February is poorest hunting. It is too cold, and most of the nuts are consumed or stored away. In late February, when the buds start coming back on the trees, squirrel hunting picks up again. But some years it is still to cold and the trees haven't started budding yet.

AdamMcK

RedBlood, Great informative article have you ever thought about submitting this to Fur Fish and Game, or any other outdoor magazine? I'd like to think some of the bigger magazines might pay pretty decent for an article such as yours.

gat51

I like the analysis of barkers, travelers and cutters. I've never thought of like that before. Through experience, I have learned that barkers are a waste of time though. It takes too long to find them and too hard to stalk them for a shot. If I'm done for the morning and hear a barker on the way out, I still can resist putting a stalk on him.

From reading this thread I think I've discovered why I miss so many opportunities on travelers. I hunt with a scoped .22 (Savage Mk II) and only like to take head shots to keep the carcass in good condition. I often have a shot but it only lasts for a split second. I think I'm too slow to fire, waiting just a second longer for a better shot. Seems like a traveler never sits still long. I need to learn to squeeze off the shot more quickly.

My favorite is the squirrel cutting hickory. Seems like they will have a favorite branch go back to and eat after they have picked the nut. I try to find that spot and line up a clear shot.

I'm glad to have found this forum. Such good info here from all of you. Thanks.

redblood

gat51 said:
I like the analysis of barkers, travelers and cutters. I've never thought of like that before. Through experience, I have learned that barkers are a waste of time though. It takes too long to find them and too hard to stalk them for a shot. If I'm done for the morning and hear a barker on the way out, I still can resist putting a stalk on him.

From reading this thread I think I've discovered why I miss so many opportunities on travelers. I hunt with a scoped .22 (Savage Mk II) and only like to take head shots to keep the carcass in good condition. I often have a shot but it only lasts for a split second. I think I'm too slow to fire, waiting just a second longer for a better shot. Seems like a traveler never sits still long. I need to learn to squeeze off the shot more quickly.

My favorite is the squirrel cutting hickory. Seems like they will have a favorite branch go back to and eat after they have picked the nut. I try to find that spot and line up a clear shot.

I'm glad to have found this forum. Such good info here from all of you. Thanks.

good to have you gat

JMcB

Thanks for taking the time Redblood. Our season opens Sat and is also free hunting day. Good chance to get a kid in the woods.

Atchman2

For sure! My dog has been running them out of my yard every day. I really enjoyed the article! During the spring season I tried a red dot scope on one of my air rifles. I found it was perfect for squirrel hunting. The air rifles can rarely take a squirrel over 100 feet, and the red dot makes tracking them a lot easier than peering through a scope (for me at least). :)

redblood

AdamMcK":1w7k94k6 said:
RedBlood, Great informative article have you ever thought about submitting this to Fur Fish and Game, or any other outdoor magazine? I'd like to think some of the bigger magazines might pay pretty decent for an article such as yours.

I hope to soon. writing is a passion, but finding time can be tough

gat51

This thread was enjoyable reading this year as it was last. Thanks for all the tips. I'm getting a little impatient for August 22nd to get here. I've got access to new hunting grounds along one of those big Giles County ridges that is loaded with hickory. Maybe this will be my year for a limit. My all-time record is 8 with a .22.

Mike Belt

Great read!

I can only add a couple of things that made me a better squirrel hunter. Spend time in the woods and learn where the food trees are...and what kind of trees they are. Basically squirrels are cutting on red and white oaks and hickories. The reds are the most tedious to hunt. Squirrels generally eat them early on and from the tip tops of trees or the ends of limbs where there is a lot of foliage. Small droppings will fall and it's almost impossible to see or hear them. Sometimes you have to wait them out to catch them moving for another acorn....and they don't have to move far. Here, a little wind can be to your advantage often moving the limbs enabling you to spot your prey. White oaks are larger thus the droppings are easier to see and hear. Once you're close enough you can't mistake the sound of them feeding on hickories but listen for them dropping the last of the nut hulls and be prepared to see them move afterward looking for another.

If you know the area you're hunting know where the trees are and move from one to another. You can run a route and by the time you get back to where you started it should have quieted down enough to where the squirrels may have resumed eating. There are 2 methods of hunting. One is to shoot the squirrels as they come to the tree. That's where the route hunting comes into play because generally after the shooting and commotion it'll take a while for more squirrels to get there. The second method is to sit back and let the tree fill up with hungry squirrels before you take your first shot. Talk about fast and furious! Squirrels will be heading out in every direction. I love it. And if you can hunt after a rain you can hear them jumping in the trees from a long distance.

It's uncanny how a wounded squirrel knocked out of a tree can hit the ground and take off running putting the tree between you and him. Be ready for a quick follow up shot. Also many times a squirrel will see you and try to hide on the other side of the tree. As you circle the tree looking for him he'll be doing the same. Find you a limb on the ground big enough to make substantial noise when you throw it to the far side of the tree and be prepared for the shot as he reacts to the noise and runs around on your side of the tree.

Have fun!

Latest posts