Squirrel help

Omega

I've only hunted them in NC, many many moons ago, but used to get my limit about each time. Getting into the hardwood helps, and I used to call with one of these to make them call back or just pop up and see what I was. Some used a couple quarters but I've never tried it.
1703966410792.png

Last edited:

double browtine

When the leaves are off, it's best to sit still and watch and listen. Usually it's best up on ridges where there are oaks. This time of year you can spot their nests but most of the time they are in den trees. Once you find the den trees, mark them with flagging or your hunter inch app. They tend to stay holed up on windy days and cloudy days. But they are kinda like deer. They are going to look for food eventually. But they store nuts in their den trees when the weather gets really cold in the winter. I prefer using a 22 once the leaves get off.

Omega

Do you just set still or ease around?
A little of both, I'd slip into the edge of the woods and watch to see if they were moving, I'd call to make them stop and look. If no action, I'd continue in a bit more and repeat. I'd usually use my 12 gauge because most times dove and squirrel overlapped, but a .22 was pretty good too, I could hunt all day with my 10/22 and a 20-30 round mag.

Tenntrapper

Their breeding season is just coming to an end, likely not as much activity as a couple weeks ago. Find where they are actively feeding...concentrate there. Bitter cold mornings, they will be slow. Grays will be active at first light. Fox squirrel will be later...10 ish. Listen for them...then stalk them. No cover from foliage...so they will see you coming. These aren't the same animals you see in parks...they are trying to stay alive.
When you get to an area where you heard them, have a seat...and wait. If nothing in 15 or so mins...move on.

Iglow

Still warmer afternoons , last hour is the magic hour. Sunny south facing hillsides. Ends of fence rows that have trees the whole length. Edges of woods rather than deep in the woods. They aren't just everywhere, you gotta find them. This year is harder cause there is food everywhere, they don't have to get out and hustle to find enough to eat.
Every tree/plant has a fruit/seed of some kind and squirrels use all of them. Don't get too zeroed in on acorns.
If wanted to get a kid into some, I'd go scout first and watch the trees as far away as you can see to see them then go back later. With the leaves off they can see along way , if you just walk around they will see/hear you coming and hole or keep u on the other side of the tree. They are hunted by hawks and owls from the air and coyotes, foxes and bobcats from the ground, they are sharp. Finding them and sitting still, very still is how to kill'em now other than dog hunting.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
Wear your camo, it works better on squirrels than about anything. Also they are more likely to alarm squeal or bark at you in camo as you are like a spook to them
Also learn to "turn" a squirrel!
They will lay up tight on the side of a tree away from you and slide around as you pass by never letting you see them. With 2 hunters one takes a position with a good view of the tree in question and watches closely while being very still and quiet. The 2nd hunter moves slowly around the tree to the other side while making a little noise. The squirrel will pay attention to the noise and move around to avoid that Hunter revealing itself to the silent partner.

TRIGGER

He is more comfortable with a scope than open sights but all of my .22's are open sights. I have a .17WSM with a scope. Should work fine as long as I keep in mind the bullet travels a lot further than a .22?
Oh and fox squirrels are fair game too correct? What about taste of the fox squirrels?

Carlos

Every Fox squirrel I've killed has been very tough, I stopped shooting them because often times they'll pull apart- into 2 pieces while skinning.

Tenntrapper

He is more comfortable with a scope than open sights but all of my .22's are open sights. I have a .17WSM with a scope. Should work fine as long as I keep in mind the bullet travels a lot further than a .22?
Oh and fox squirrels are fair game too correct? What about taste of the fox squirrels?
That wsm will make a mess of them, better try for head shots. Personally, I think the grays are better table fare...but that could be personal taste. I'll still shoot the fox , given the opportunity. A pressure cooker tends to help with the toughness.

Latest posts