Squirrel limit tips.... (long read)

Sucarnochee

Good read. Grew up looking forward to opening day. Killed many with my dad growing up. Have not been in 2-3 years. I may have to go after reading this. Would probably go all the time if I had a good place. Prentis cooper is about it around here

Displaced_Vol

Enjoyed this thread. Learned a lot and hope to get out soon and put some of it to use.
Squirrel hunted for years but usually just used it as an opportunity to take a walk in the woods with a gun.

Displaced_Vol

So what's the thought if a man only had the afternoon to hunt? I'd assume the last couple hours of the day? Still focus on the hickories? Or, is it too hot in the afternoons/evenings to fool with in August and September?

Andy S.

Displaced_Vol":leel5rwq said:
So what's the thought if a man only had the afternoon to hunt? I'd assume the last couple hours of the day? Still focus on the hickories? Or, is it too hot in the afternoons/evenings to fool with in August and September?
Hunt the last few hours. I have killed a good many of squirrels in the evenings.

sun

The .410 pump for gray squirrels

I mostly use a .410 so that I don't have to limit the direction that I can shoot up into the air as when using a far reaching round like the .22lr. (Yes, some woods have boundary limitations.) The .410 has plenty of killing power and range for squirrels without having to deal with much meat destruction or lead in the meat. While the full choked .410 may provide an aiming advantage over the .22lr, it still requires a high degree of marksmanship when you're shooting up into trees at 40 yards or more, and not always at sitting squirrels.
One of the methods I employ once I've gotten a fix on a squirrel's general location and start the stalk through the noisy leaves, is too try to fool the squirrel into thinking that I'm another squirrel or forest animal to not cause it to become alarmed. So sometimes I will gently call to it with an Olt bellows squirrel call as I quickly take a few steps at a time through the noisy leaves towards it. You have to try to step softly and sound like another squirrel without being too noisy by over rustling leaves. You often are forced to make some kind of noise as you advance, but you have to learn how to not make the advance sound too unnatural as you move into gun range. If the squirrel does get alarmed, I just might rush toward the tree he flees too and try to get a shot or two at the elusive target. Sometimes they move up high into a tree, hugging the top side of a branch and will offer you a shot if you can locate the wisping of its tail (a breeze helps). Other times, they will scurry to another tree and possibly give you a chance to shoot at a quickly moving target. This is where the .410 really shines over a .22. Not that it's overly easy, but it can certainly help to make it a more makeable shot than with a .22
When a shot on a squirrel does come at relatively close range, I may aim off to the side just a little bit so that the whole payload from a 3 inch .410 shell doesn't damage too much meat, but hopefully inflicts just enough damage to do the job.
Nothing is quite as gratifying to the squirrel hunter as a well placed quick reaction shot on a fast moving squirrel, especially once its been successfully located & stalked to within gun range.
What a noble and challenging small game animal!

Last edited:

Safari Hunt

Hunted all times of the day and never really noticed any difference in getting some game for the skillet. I have hunted with a .22 and a shotgun. Where I live now, the .22 isn't a real option due to the population of the county. Other places would be OK. My 12 gauge used reloads of 23 grains of Red Dot (dirtiest powder ever made) and 1-1/8 oz. of #5 or #6. If I really tried, I could get by with one ounce.

RockMcL

The .410 pump for gray squirrels

I mostly use a .410 so that I don't have to limit the direction that I can shoot up into the air as when using a far reaching round like the .22lr. (Yes, some woods have boundary limitations.) The .410 has plenty of killing power and range for squirrels without having to deal with much meat destruction or lead in the meat. While the full choked .410 may provide an aiming advantage over the .22lr, it still requires a high degree of marksmanship when you're shooting up into trees at 40 yards or more, and not always at sitting squirrels.
One of the methods I employ once I've gotten a fix on a squirrel's general location and start the stalk through the noisy leaves, is too try to fool the squirrel into thinking that I'm another squirrel or forest animal to not cause it to become alarmed. So sometimes I will gently call to it with an Olt bellows squirrel call as I quickly take a few steps at a time through the noisy leaves towards it. You have to try to step softly and sound like another squirrel without being too noisy by over rustling leaves. You often are forced to make some kind of noise as you advance, but you have to learn how to not make the advance sound too unnatural as you move into gun range. If the squirrel does get alarmed, I just might rush toward the tree he flees too and try to get a shot or two at the elusive target. Sometimes they move up high into a tree, hugging the top side of a branch and will offer you a shot if you can locate the wisping of its tail (a breeze helps). Other times, they will scurry to another tree and possibly give you a chance to shoot at a quickly moving target. This is where the .410 really shines over a .22. Not that it's overly easy, but it can certainly help to make it a more makeable shot than with a .22
When a shot on a squirrel does come at relatively close range, I may aim off to the side just a little bit so that the whole payload from a 3 inch .410 shell doesn't damage too much meat, but hopefully inflicts just enough damage to do the job.
Nothing is quite as gratifying to the squirrel hunter as a well placed quick reaction shot on a fast moving squirrel, especially once its been successfully located & stalked to within gun range.
What a noble and challenging small game animal!
I use a 410 double for squirrel now and it also is my goto for coon & possum if get in the chicken coop. (the 12 gauge leaves holes big enough for the masked bandits friends to get back in...)
I try to use my own reloads in 2 1/2 inch. They are not hot loads by any means but factory loads just don't compare. Not sure if that is a "new thing".

We usually do a squirrel dish or two for family get togethers so a week before, scoop up two rows out of a box and walk out in the woods. Six squirrels usually does the trick.

Now it is done for management and family fun/memories. The noble squirrel was needed "budget" meat when I was a young Staff Sargent with 3 sons in the house... (My sons still remember and laugh about fighting for the back meat on seconds.)

squirrel_hunter

I have 3 different guns i use for squirrel hunting.
Mossberg 500 410 TSS turkey gun
Mossberg SA 410ga TSS turkey gun.
Tristar G2 Viper 28ga.
I reload a 410's 3 inch 11/16 oz 5 or 6's. 28ga i load a 3/4 oz 4 or 6's. I usally use a full choke in them. But depends on where i hunt. I will carry a modified choke in my vest. I sure like carrying the 500 410ga. I been reloading alot of 410 3 inch ammo up. I use it squirrel qauil and crow hunting.

RockMcL

I have 3 different guns i use for squirrel hunting.
Mossberg 500 410 TSS turkey gun
Mossberg SA 410ga TSS turkey gun.
Tristar G2 Viper 28ga.
I reload a 410's 3 inch 11/16 oz 5 or 6's. 28ga i load a 3/4 oz 4 or 6's. I usally use a full choke in them. But depends on where i hunt. I will carry a modified choke in my vest. I sure like carrying the 500 410ga. I been reloading alot of 410 3 inch ammo up. I use it squirrel qauil and crow hunting.
MEC?

Latest posts