Squirrel gun update...

Carlos

All the 10-22's I've owned haven't been all that accurate. They were very reliable, just not all that accurate at 75-100 yards.

Tenntrapper

All of these averages of either 3 or 4, five-shot groups. 35 yards. Non-suppressed.

CCI: Green tag .50; Pistol match .58; Standard .77; Stinger .90

WW XX HP .73

RWS sub HP .80

Rem yellow jacket .84; Sub hp 1.05

Fed: HP .86; 711 .54; 900 .42; 900B .65; UM1 .40

That was when the gun was new.

Now the RWS HP shoots about .40. Not sure if the gun got better, RWS changed the load, or possibly the suppressor made a difference. But my last 10 shot group at 35 measured .62 edge to edge. At 100 a ten shot went 1.40.

I have not gone back to see if the other 13 loads changed from un-suppressed to suppressed.
I do believe there is something to the bolt/barrel truing that can be done. I've read about as well as experienced the "first round flyer".
Something about how the bolt seats when chambering the first round as opposed to how it seats during firing. Guess one could improve their 5 round groups by loading 6 and shooting the first round off to the side.
I've got more/different ammo being delivered today...I'll get it tested perhaps tomorrow... ups gets here late.

Tenntrapper

Ok, I got a little testing done with the Eley subsonic hollow. Actually, all I did was shoot two 5 shot groups to adjust scope. The poi was slightly different from the tenex. After adjustment, I shot a 10 shot group on a new target. It should also be noted that my "bench" isn't very stable. Glass patio table with umbrella. Because that isn't tall enough, I sit a small cooler on it, then bags on top of that. And the light wind gusts will move the table some (catching the umbrella). I'm saying that because Im pretty sure it would do better on an actual bench.
Anyway....

Counting the one at about 4:00, the 10 shot group had a CTC of .398. If you toss that one out, it's .309. This was at 25 yards. I think it will serve it's purpose as a squirrel gun. I've got some Norma SSHP on the way. I'll see how it does and pass it along.

Last edited:

rifle02

Although I completely understand what you are saying...the CZ 457 has a very similar barrel mountain system (interchangable barrels) and accuracy isn't a problem. When that model first came out (actually on the 455) there was a lot of speculation that it would lose the accuracy that the 452 was known for. Just wasn't the case though. In my experience, the 455 and 457 are just as accurate.
Back to the 10/22. I'm wondering if it would benefit from floating all but the last inch or so (muzzle end). I've heard that a pressure pad has been effective with some. In the end, it has to maintain two points of contact...or else it just going to teeter totter. I've yet to find a way to secure the rear of the receiver.
The cure for teeter-tottering is to have the action screw pull the receiver down between two points. If your stock does not have a shelf for the rear of the receiver to rest on you can build that up with wood shims something like popsicle sticks or whatever. The rear of the barrel for an inch or so ahead of the receiver can be bedded. That way you can free float the barrel from that point on to the muzzle.

Tenntrapper

The cure for teeter-tottering is to have the action screw pull the receiver down between two points. If your stock does not have a shelf for the rear of the receiver to rest on you can build that up with wood shims something like popsicle sticks or whatever. The rear of the barrel for an inch or so ahead of the receiver can be bedded. That way you can free float the barrel from that point on to the muzzle.
Yes, there is a shelf for the receiver to sit on. The problem is...there is nothing to hold it down. I questioned bedding the first couple inches of barrel in order to provide that second point of contact. Seems like that it should work. As for if a 22 benefits from floating the barrel...no idea. Right now it's shooting pretty good...good enough for squirrel hunting anyway. I've hunted them with worse. My biggest issue with doing a possibly unneeded bedding job...the rifle is a 1/1000 limited edition. The stock is what makes it different. I really want to avoid altering it if I can.
I've got some more ammo testing to do, but I'm thinking it's fine the way it is. It's not a bench rifle.
What I need more than anything is more time to get out in the woods to use it... 😂

Tenntrapper

Just tried the Norma tac 22 subsonic HP.
Very informal. Shot 10 rounds to foul barrel, then shot one ten round group at 25 yards.
Got a .256" CTC. I know one group isn't conclusive, but it's all I had time for.

SSlater

Randy at CPC is good people. I met him when I lived in Connecticut briefly. He did some work on my M77 22 hornet. I can't recommend him enough.

Interesting side note, I only lived a few miles away from CPC so I didn't have to mail my gun, I got a tour of the shop. He's got the equipment and knows what he's doing.

The Eskimos in Alaska love him. He had a stack of their guns incoming and outgoing.

Last edited:

Latest posts