New squirrel gun...

Tenntrapper

Normally when season first opens and the trees are covered in leaves, I use a shotgun. Then deer season opens and I give up squirrel till January. At that time, I start using a 22/22 mag as I can see across the woods. I've got a CZ 457 22/22mag varmint that typically gets used...but it's kinda heavy (not really that bad). I've been wanting to do more squirrel hunting throughout the season...so I needed an "intermediate" season gun... 😂
Something that is more of a plinker... lightweight, etc. I've had several 10/22s over the years, and personally prefer the marlin 60 for accuracy...but those aren't available right now.
So I get on buds and start looking at 22s.
Now don't get me wrong, I know 10/22s can be made to shoot...but replacing everything but the receiver isn't the way I am wanting to go. I wanted something nice... Almost ordered another CZ...maybe an American.
Then I stumbled across this... Wow, this is what I was looking for.
It is a Talo exclusive, Ruger 10/22 classic viii. Only 1000 made. Basic 10/22 with AA Fancy French walnut stock...complete with Schnabel forend. This is just my speed. It still hasn't shipped, but I'm hoping to have it by next week. I'm going to mount that Weaver classic rimfire on it...and slay some tree rats.
This is a stock photo, not the actual rifle. Hoping I get good figure like this one.

Last edited:

C1295

Just make sure you watch it. I ordered a rifle from buds in Kentucky and it was supposed to ship to my FFL dealer and it never came. Then when I reached back out to them they said sorry it was sold.

Tenntrapper

Just make sure you watch it. I ordered a rifle from buds in Kentucky and it was supposed to ship to my FFL dealer and it never came. Then when I reached back out to them they said sorry it was sold.
I've ordered probably 20 guns through buds...never a problem. But I'll definitely keep an eye on it. Having it shipped to our local buds...so if it gets "lost", it's on them...either way.

C1295

I've ordered probably 20 guns through buds...never a problem. But I'll definitely keep an eye on it. Having it shipped to our local buds...so if it gets "lost", it's on them...either way.
probably just a fluke thing that happened but I have been weary since. Also, could have been that I had it shipped to a FFL not Buds themselves.

Tenntrapper

probably just a fluke thing that happened but I have been weary since. Also, could have been that I had it shipped to a FFL not Buds themselves.
Had something similar happen at bass pro. Ordered/bought a rifle from them. It came in and someone sold it before I could get down there to pick it up. And it was the last one at the distributor. They had to reorder direct from Remington (760 308 win). Took forever to finally get there...but it did.

Tenntrapper

Just got tracking. If ups doesn't screw it up, should be able to pick it up tomorrow...

Oh yeah, @RUGER ...if you want one, somewhere I seen yesterday that there was 30 something left...out of 1000. This rifle was introduced in 2020, so you may have plenty of time...or you might not...🤷

Edit...just realized tomorrow is Friday. Sevierville on Friday....🤦

Last edited:

ImThere

Pretty wood! does the Talo make it more accurate? Is it a stick 10/22 wrapped in pretty wood or is Talo a barrel? Just trying to follow along! I'm out of the loop
Or maybe I need to use my Google-fu

tpgarrett21

I like CZs, Rugers, etc but finally tracked down a Glenfield 60 18+1 it doesn't seem like they're hard to find... just hard to find at a decent price. luckily, seems as though whoever had this one didn't use it much... also acquired a stevens "little scout" takedown with it. critters beware

Attachments

• 20230716_185737.jpg
    20230716_185737.jpg
    400.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 20230716_191238.jpg
    20230716_191238.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 53

Tenntrapper

Pretty wood! does the Talo make it more accurate? Is it a stick 10/22 wrapped in pretty wood or is Talo a barrel? Just trying to follow along! I'm out of the loop
Or maybe I need to use my Google-fu
Talo is a firearms distributor...I think. Kinda like Davidson. They occasionally have manufacturers build "limited editions" for them. To answer your question...it's a bone stock 10/22...with a fancy wood stock. I haven't shot it yet, but will update with a range report when I do. I imagine it will shoot like any other 10/22.
I like different, and I love the Schnabel forend like on a mod 70 featherweight. Just made sense to me.

Tenntrapper

I like CZs, Rugers, etc but finally tracked down a Glenfield 60 18+1 it doesn't seem like they're hard to find... just hard to find at a decent price. luckily, seems as though whoever had this one didn't use it much... also acquired a stevens "little scout" takedown with it. critters beware
Nice score. I actually prefer the mod 60 over the 10/22...I think out of the box they are more accurate. At one time, I had 27 of them... 😂 Different variations, etc. Sold everyone of them for about 125.00 each. Hard for me to pay what they are asking for them now.

Tenntrapper

Ok, I said I would update after shooting the new rifle. I tried 2 different ammo's....tac22 and eley Tenex. Tenex shot better, but it's still a 10/22. Long squishy trigger. At 35 yards, best I could do with Tenex was about 3/4". Tac22 was 1.5"+. Oh, I did try some norma eco power... 😂, It was 4"+ at 35.
On a positive note, I dragged out the ol M69 Trainer...with irons. Just about shot the best group with it...and I'm nearly blind.. 😂 Put 10 into about an inch with it.
Will try some standard plus in the 10/22 when I get time. It shoots good in the daughter's 10/22.

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
That one's a real beaut. I'm a sucker for a schnabel forend. It probably has a "pressure pad" hump as a contact point at the front of the barrel channel like my new LVT. I'm thinking about sanding mine down and free floating it. I get good groups out of several different types of ammo with it, save one flyer almost every time.

Oh yeah, I swapped out the trigger group with one that I did years ago. It's not a Kidd, but it's pretty nice still. You could always get a Ruger BXT (I think?) aftermarket drop-in trigger for it if yours is that bad

Latest posts