Spinning Rod Line?

gil1

bowriter said:
Seriously Gil, if you want to stop by here, I'll fill all your reels for you and show you a knot made just for line line fishing.

Well, bless you sir. I had already put line on when I saw this post. Great tips, though.

bowriter

R.I.P.
Guess what. I got 1200 words out of this line thread thingie. It is my June 3 col. Even managed to work in a little humour. BTW- How the he11 do you spell humor?

Funny?

gil1

bowriter said:
Guess what. I got 1200 words out of this line thread thingie. It is my June 3 col. Even managed to work in a little humour. BTW- How the he11 do you spell humor?

Funny?

I want a referral fee! :D
"hyoumer"
I love that gargantuan drum pic.

MFBAB

Gil-
If you were having problems with the flouro it was probably line memory and the KVD line conditioner will solve that. Also, never tie a palomar with flouro or it will cut itself at the knot and you'll lose a lot of baits and or fish, a regular trilene or improved clench solves that issue. Hope that helps.

snaildarter

Silver thread AN40 (copolymer, small diameter) is all I use for all my spinning gear. I buy 3000 yard spools on line and it is fairly inexpensive.

Model70Man

MFBAB said:
Gil-
If you were having problems with the flouro it was probably line memory and the KVD line conditioner will solve that. Also, never tie a palomar with flouro or it will cut itself at the knot and you'll lose a lot of baits and or fish, a regular trilene or improved clench solves that issue. Hope that helps.

Interesting.

I use the palomar knot all the time and I use flurocarbon line. Never had a break off at the knot.

B.D.

Dr. Dickel said:
You will not catch the clap in a whorehouse with 10 pound test in the South Holston tailwater. Like I said, most people can not fathom the clarity.

I won't argue the clarity of the SoHo since it's not my home tailwater. On the other hand, do you know a guy named Ron Rowland who fishes up there? He catches a lot of big trout in that tailwater and the others in the area and got the state record rainbow a few years back. Ask him what size line he uses. It ain't 4-6 lb test.

Line diameter can make a HUGE difference depending on how you fish, and there are times when I drop down to 6x or even 7x on a flyrod. Fishing fast with jerkbaits, it's less critical.

I will say that when using 10 lb. line for trout I would only use fluorocarbon, not mono. Fluorocarbon in 10 lb test is much less visible underwater than 6 lb. mono or superbraid.

Gil, if you use a swivel with a rooster tail, use a long leader below it - at least 2ft or more. Keep it away from the lure and it won't affect your catch rate. DON'T use a snap instead of a real swivel.

bd

B.D.

Model70Man said:
I use the palomar knot all the time and I use flurocarbon line. Never had a break off at the knot.

Same here. It seems like some brands of fluoro line perform a lot better than others. Maybe that has something to do with it.

bd

Football Hunter

Brian Dunigan said:
Model70Man said:

Same here. It seems like some brands of fluoro line perform a lot better than others. Maybe that has something to do with it.

bd
Had me worried for a minuet,I use a palomar all the time,I use it on my 6lb test at Dale Hollow on florocarbon,caught 14 smallies on it last time.

MFBAB

That's great if the palomar is working for you, I don't have anything against it except for flouro myself. I just learned that at a seminar this year (Stacy King, Mike Webb and another pro all agreed on it) and it has made a world of difference for me personally, not one break off since changing, and everyone I've told that to since then has had similar experiences as me, either breaking off on snags or fish too often at the knot. I will say, most of my problems have been with bass applications and not the light line(6lb or less), I don't use the palomar then anyway.

Tennessee Todd

MFBAB said:
That's great if the palomar is working for you, I don't have anything against it except for flouro myself. I just learned that at a seminar this year (Stacy King, Mike Webb and another pro all agreed on it) and it has made a world of difference for me personally, not one break off since changing, and everyone I've told that to since then has had similar experiences as me, either breaking off on snags or fish too often at the knot. I will say, most of my problems have been with bass applications and not the light line(6lb or less), I don't use the palomar then anyway.

Interesting. I have thrown all of my flourocarbon in the trash because I kept breaking off too many fish. I was tying a palomar too.....

Now I just use the Excel on everything including tying my wife down on occasions and it seems to work just fine.

Latest posts