Spinning Rod Line?

gil1

I'm heading up to the Watauga/South Holston in about 10 days. Normally, it's all fly fishing, but they may well be dumping too much water for my beat up shoulder to toss a fly for 4 days. I may have to break out the ole spinning rod with jerk baits and don't know what type of line to use. I think I usually use 6 pound test in the heavy water. I remember that I tried flourocarbon on a high water trip to the Caney last year and hated it (can't even recall why).

I may also be using some Rooster Tails. If there's any algae and the blade gets clustered up, light line will get all twisted. Anyway, any ideas would be appreciated. Brand name and specific product if you have any thoughts please...

Danka smuch. :)

Drake624

Good luck fishing on watauga or south holston. They are generating like crazy right now. They have watauga generating with 4 generators all day for a good while. The watauga lake is somewhere around 5 feet over flood level right now. I have been told by a few guides that watauga will be generating for around a month to just get the water down. I am itchin to fish them both but its not looking so good. They are generating south holston the same but with either one or two generators. Its impossible to fish but I hope that it all changes soon. If you come up here to fish i can point you in the right way.

stik

i use nothing but clear/blue stren. roostertails are hard on light line. about 2 trips is all i get out of a spool on my UL(4 lb) if i fish roostertails.

A

Anonymous

Best line i have found for spinning reels is the Maxima Ultra green.. i love that stuff.. low memory easy.. to cast..I like the Maxima Chameleon also..

Rackseeker

What you not taking your bowfishing equipment? Just kiddin......... All jokes aside the best line for spinning reels I've found is the Stealth braid from Wal-mart. I use the 6lb dia. braid. Very strong and will not twist. I use spinning equipmnet alot for bass and this is the best line I've found hands down.

Tubakka

I like the Sufix lines. I had a spool I bought in saltwater of 10 lb monofilament for 10 BUCKS that lasted me over a year until it got bad and I still had a 1/3 left. Great stuff. I have been using their "deep cranking" stuff that is new, and am pleased with it.

Baxter83

stik said:
i use nothing but clear/blue stren.

That's about all I use as well. I've tried the flourocarbon and about everything else out there, but I always come back to old faithful original stren.

B.D.

Use 10 lb for jerkbaits. Line diameter doesn't matter as much because you are fishing fast and triggering reaction strikes. Same principle as streamer fishing. The potential for larger fish is there and you don't want to break a trophy off with a big 3-hooked jerkbait in its face - that might be a death sentence.

For rooster tails 4lb or 6lb will cast and perform better. There's no way to get away from line twist completely. Some spinning reels handle it better than others. The vibrax spinners from Blue Fox twist line a little less but they aren't perfect. You could try a small swivel tied 2ft up your line if it really becomes a bad problem.

My right arm is out of commission for a while too so I sympathize.

bd

Tubakka

You know, I may be in the boat with Dr. Dickel, on this one. The Caney, with water coming from a eutrophic transitional reservoir, although "clear" by most people's definitions, even on normal flow, is dinghy compared to the oligotrophic reservoirs of Norris and South Holston emptying their bladders into the respective tailraces. I have floated over betty's on falling water, marked 9 feet in the hole, and never seen the bottom. I was watching trout draft on the bottom in 14 feet on the Clinch, and although it wasn't udner the best conditions...and did managed a 22" bow, I did not get any large browns. I'm beginning to think the clarity and the line diameter might be an issue...you may get a few fish, and I'm not spooling up with fluoro, but I am using a good foot leader now.

Model70Man

Dr. Dickel said:
Brian Dunigan said:
Use 10 lb for jerkbaits. Line diameter doesn't matter as much because you are fishing fast and triggering reaction strikes.

bd
You will not catch the clap in a whorehouse with 10 pound test in the South Holston tailwater. Like I said, most people can not fathom the clarity.

I use 10# Cabelas No-Vis Xtra Fluorocarbon line. It has the diameter of 6# test line and is virtually invisible in the water. You would never know that line is fluorocarbon either. It is just like mono. This line doesn't break very easy either. When I get snagged on the Clinch in current, it pretty much acts as an anchor line and stops my boat until I fire up the motor and head upstream to get my lure back. I have caught more fish ever since I switched to fluorocarbon. It does make a difference.

Tubakka

Thanks for the ref model. I'll get some of those stuff. most fluoro I've used is like fishing with a thin strand of ice. Sure oyu can't see it in the water, but dang if it doesn't shatter on a turn.

gil1

Interesting diversity in answers from a bunch of good fishermen. I may set up a little taste test with three separate reels to see which line I like.

Different but similar topic...
Years ago, I tied a tiny swivel on the end of my line so I wouldn't have to retie to change baits. I floated and spinfished the entire South Holston from the weir to the lake without getting a single bite.

It was a really slow day for all five of us in two boats, but everyone still caught a few fish except me. We were all using the same baits.

Two conclusions -

1. I don't know why exactly, but that little stuff matters.
2. I am a complete moron for not cutting that stupid swivel off after about 30 minutes with no bites! :grin:

bowriter

R.I.P.
Seriously Gil, if you want to stop by here, I'll fill all your reels for you and show you a knot made just for line line fishing.

Latest posts