Sorry if already discussed: Mineral regulations (CWD)

Bushape

Any idea if off season corn feeders and/or mineral blocks will be outlawed going forward??

duckduck84

fairchaser":a8s404y1 said:
Bushape":a8s404y1 said:
Any idea if off season corn feeders and/or mineral blocks will be outlawed going forward??

I believe they are illegal within the CMZ all year.

Correct. All supplemental feeding is banned in the CWD zone.

Grnwing

This is the regulation for the CWD Zone: Notice the exception.

Supplemental feeding is now banned in Fayette, Hardeman, and McNairy Counties. The placement of grain, salt products, minerals, and other consumable natural and manufactured products is prohibited. The ban does not apply to feed placed within 100 feet of any residence, feed placed in a manner not accessible to deer, or feed and minerals as the result of normal agricultural practices. Food plots are still legal in the CWD Zone.

If you are still wanting to add minerals- you can check out Trophy Rocks new product- Plot Rock.

Mike Belt

You do what you think is right but if you're anywhere around the hot zone, including counties bordering them and not added yet, I'd think long and hard before concentrating deer feeding/mineral spots. You're already aware of CWD and how it can be spread. I wouldn't want to add fuel to the potential fire.

TheLBLman

I agree with the supplemental feeding bans, but have an entirely different thought on the minerals.

Here's my thinking:

Where mineral licks have been long established, those minerals are already deep in the ground (typically).
In any given area, there are some mineral licks, already, and they're not going away.
They're going to be there for years, and years to come.
Deer are going to continue to seek them out (during the summer months), continue to be concentrated licking at these sites.

And, as some of these established licks become less attractive,
the deer will then become EVEN MORE CONCENTRATED at other remaining licks!

IMO, the risk of spreading prions might actually be reduced by increasing the number of mineral licks,
as this would result in fewer deer licking at any one site.

Imagine, the reduction of deer per mineral lick site
if we went from 2 established licks in an area to 10 new licks in that same area.

Mike Belt

LBL... I sort of see merit to your theory but considering that most hunting parcels are 100 acres or less it would seem that all of those extra mineral sites could still be visited by the entire deer population on that given property, spreading the disease to every animal, and then carried onto adjoining properties. You really can't "dismantle" existing mineral licks but you can minimize their numbers by not creating new ones. I seriously doubt that they do much good to the deer using them anyway and are primarily for the hunter running cameras.

cbhunter

Agreed. I think chances are deer are gonna lick on about everyone they pass whether it's one per acre or one per 500 acres. Salt licks do dissipate over time, they aren't forever although they do have action for several years without freshening them up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JCDEERMAN

TheLBLman":2xpehmxg said:
I agree with the supplemental feeding bans, but have an entirely different thought on the minerals.

Here's my thinking:

Where mineral licks have been long established, those minerals are already deep in the ground (typically).
In any given area, there are some mineral licks, already, and they're not going away.
They're going to be there for years, and years to come.
Deer are going to continue to seek them out (during the summer months), continue to be concentrated licking at these sites.

And, as some of these established licks become less attractive,
the deer will then become EVEN MORE CONCENTRATED at other remaining licks!

IMO, the risk of spreading prions might actually be reduced by increasing the number of mineral licks,
as this would result in fewer deer licking at any one site.

Imagine, the reduction of deer per mineral lick site
if we went from 2 established licks in an area to 10 new licks in that same area.

Agree 100%. I was thinking about this the other day. If I were in the hot zone, I would encourage everyone I knew to get some fence posts and wire fence tall enough they cant jump and fence off all my mineral licks, and theirs as well. I've got old licks out that they still dig and I haven't put anything in them in about 3-4 years. Just my .02

JCDEERMAN

I will also add....and maybe I'm an extremist, but I would ban all retail stores (I know that entails a lot of legalities) in TN from selling any and all attractants (acorn rage, c'mere deer, etc...). I am in Hickman county which is a ways from the hot zone but I have been saying for 2 years that the deer numbers are wayyyyy down. I don't think the scope of this disease has been truly identified for all areas impacted.

Jmed

If you guys watched the TWRA live meeting video like I did, you would have heard the biologist talk about what to do about salt licks (Turn the ground over). they also mentioned that salt licks were concentration points for the prions and that research from WI shows that the actual salt itself works to help the prion get into the nervous system.

fairchaser

We've discussed the possibility of covering up the mineral licks on Ames. At least we can try to keep the spreading of the disease down. If each lick saved one deer per year. Over several years it could save hundreds of deer. Deer in one area won't travel to another area miles away to lick salt. It's gonna make it more difficult to get a census on cameras. One of the reasons we might have the disease so bad is that several years ago we made a concerted effort to put out salt and dical to see the impact on antler growth. We had licks 1 per 100 acres or 180 licks. Little did we know we were probably contributing to the spread of the disease. We stopped this practice when we learned it did nothing to help antler growth and the native forage had all the minerals a deer needs.

Boll Weevil

Question: If I turned the dirt over and then mounded clean dirt atop the lick, would that keep them from digging it back out?

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
JCDEERMAN":1iftvxie said:
I will also add....and maybe I'm an extremist, but I would ban all retail stores (I know that entails a lot of legalities) in TN from selling any and all attractants (acorn rage, c'mere deer, etc...). I am in Hickman county which is a ways from the hot zone but I have been saying for 2 years that the deer numbers are wayyyyy down. I don't think the scope of this disease has been truly identified for all areas impacted.

I agree. There should be a ban on the selling of the minerals and make it illegal to make licks, and hunters should be told to fence off current licks.

JDBinTN

MUP":2qzrl39c said:
I think I'd be careful wishing for banning of anything at this point. Just what ends up banned may be more than just supplemental minerals and corn.

I've been thinking for awhile now one of the BEST things for deer hunting moving forward would be to get back to the farmers doing the farming and the hunters just being hunters, I would think alot of this habitat manipulation such as food plots, creating bedding areas, etc might be done away with now.

Bone Collector

Grnwing":3mzp0qsq said:
This is the regulation for the CWD Zone: Notice the exception.

Supplemental feeding is now banned in Fayette, Hardeman, and McNairy Counties. The placement of grain, salt products, minerals, and other consumable natural and manufactured products is prohibited. The ban does not apply to feed placed within 100 feet of any residence, feed placed in a manner not accessible to deer, or feed and minerals as the result of normal agricultural practices. Food plots are still legal in the CWD Zone.

If you are still wanting to add minerals- you can check out Trophy Rocks new product- Plot Rock.

What is the point in this? this is ONE of my main issues with the baiting laws.... People say they are against baiting due to it spreading diseases, and yet Ma and Pa can feed deer right behind their house. Those deer will spread sickness and carry it right back into the woods with them.

Feeding minerals or food, to wildlife has either going to have to be legal or illegal. Period no grey area.

Bone Collector

JDBinTN":31kuiq13 said:
MUP":31kuiq13 said:
I think I'd be careful wishing for banning of anything at this point. Just what ends up banned may be more than just supplemental minerals and corn.

I've been thinking for awhile now one of the BEST things for deer hunting moving forward would be to get back to the farmers doing the farming and the hunters just being hunters, I would think alot of this habitat manipulation such as food plots, creating bedding areas, etc might be done away with now.

That will never happen planting crops and creating bedding areas will never be illegal. You can't tell a person what they can or cannot cut, clear, or plant on their land or allow others to do so on their land (leases).

Now as a personal choice you may be right, but it will be hard to convince guys who have routinely hunted that way successfully to stop.

MUP

I really don't see why it couldn't happen. Banning anything for the sake of the cause could very well lead to overt regulations, such as building codes in different counties for instance. Where I live there are no restrictions on where I can build a structure, so I can build right up to my property line, whereas some counties around me have stipulations that you cannot build within 10-15 ft of your property line, in essence depriving some landowner of some use of their land. So yes, I do believe all is needed is for enough people to rise up for the "cause", petition the commission, as it were, and voila, more restrictions. Just saying it is totally within the realm of possibilities.

MickThompson

I could see a ban on items that have no legitimate use beyond the banned purpose- deer urine, for example. But what about trace mineral salt for cattle?Redmond mines theirs from the same hole as trophy rock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts