Something That Needs To Be Thought About!!

SJB

What I want to know is how do you get yourself a ticket wrote when you haven't done anything wrong? It's only because you cant get out of the WMA because the gates have been locked and there is no ranger anywhere to be found. The gates were said to be locked at 6:50 and we made it to the gates by 6:50 to 7:00 and nobody is to be seen so it takes 10 to 15 minutes to walk to the ranger's house and he is already in shorts and a t shirt and about to eat supper. He finally comes to the door and is told the situation and says just hang tight he is going to eat first. Then comes in about 20 minutes and unlocks the gate and gives us a ticket for trespassing on WMA property because he said he gives an hour after sunset to get out and I always thought that was when it was dark not a set time. All we done was hunted until sunset and then picked each other up and headed out, the ranger said you should have thought about that. Well he needs to think about what if somebody has killed a deer way back in there right at dark? There is no way they could get out in an hour, and what if you have car trouble or anything. These things need to be thought about at this WMA, because the gates were locked before any 6:50 too, because the ranger was already home and changed and about to eat before 6:50 to 7:00.

Mr.x

that is awful! Sometimes thinking of how it feels in the other guys shoes may make them have "some" compassion. We need more Andy's and less Barney's. How much did it cost you?

travle

Well it seems like the problem is he had a stick up his rear, though the WMA hunting hours state you must be out by 1 hour after sunset which would put you out by probably 6:30..being so close to time comes to him having a little compassion and not being so rude. I think they should have to cruise the parking spots to make sure people are out before they lock you in there. And then make a judgement call on the ticket based on your time out of there. Say if you're still in there at 8 or so. But being there at or right after the gates are said to be locked isn't room for a ticket.

pick-a-spot

While that ranger is handing me a ticket I would mention that a little consideration for hunters who pay his salary might be in order.
Sounds like the type that likes to throw his weight around. Seen that type before.
On the other hand you should ask for his phone number so you can call him next time if you run late. Also keep track of sunset times.

catman529

The WMA I'm hunting now technically closes the gates at dark but for the quota hunts they have left it open so hunters can come in early and not get locked in if it take a while to get out. Sounds like your ranger has a problem understanding what deer hunting is...

BigGameGuy

Not trying to be hard-nosed, just offering the other side of the argument. Officers use great discretion 99% of the time but rules are rules. You mention, "what if you had a deer or what if you had car trouble?" Did you have either of these? This is where officer discretion comes into play. If hunting regulations are meant as guidelines for hunters just to be "close to" then the Hunting Guide would simply be a "book of suggestions". If that were to occur, then few rules would ever stand up in court. Most officers I know don't enjoy writing tickets especially in those situations, however, that's their job. It is now the judges job to decide if the citation is warranted. Having said that, I understand your frustration. Good luck in court.

coontracker49

Its simple we pay for wma stamps and the wildlife resources have no control on when forestry shuts the gates I have went off about this more than once it does no good I hounestly believe a wma permit is a joke considering they closed all gates down last year before x-mas and they are talk about doing it again on the 17th SO me personally I think forestry and TWRA need to get together and say we have people paying for a wma stamp and they arent getting to use them all hunting season how can we work this to comply when you all shut the gates.

BigGameGuy

TWRA and especially our commissioners have been working hard to keep the gates open during hunting season. Unfortunately the U.S. Forest Service has the final say on Forest Service lands. They close them to keep the roads from being damaged in the winter since they do not have the funds to repair them.

BMan

pick-a-spot said:
While that ranger is handing me a ticket I would mention that a little consideration for hunters who pay his salary might be in order.
The old "You work for me" argument doesn't work often. Well, doesn't work out WELL anyway.

pick-a-spot said:
Also keep track of sunset times.
Yep.

Buzzard Breath

Lets break this down and analyze it.

SJB said:
What I want to know is how do you get yourself a ticket wrote when you haven't done anything wrong?
That is what are court system is for. If you didn't do anything wrong, they will dismiss charges

SJB said:
It's only because you cant get out of the WMA because the gates have been locked and there is no ranger anywhere to be found.
Rangers (his word, not mine) should man all gates 24/7.

SJB said:
The gates were said to be locked at 6:50 and we made it to the gates by 6:50 to 7:00 and nobody is to be seen
Wait a second..... I thought you just said you didn't do anything wrong? Now, you're saying you were late.

SJB said:
so it takes 10 to 15 minutes to walk to the ranger's house
TWRA really needs to do something about this. I'm going to immediately write to the commissioners and demand that they put Segway's at all gates so I don't have to walk when locked in.

SJB said:
..he is already in shorts and a t shirt and about to eat supper. He finally comes to the door and is told the situation and says just hang tight he is going to eat first. Then comes in about 20 minutes and unlocks the gate
At least he had on shorts. I can't believe he wouldn't immediately drop everything and come running like you were a damsel in distress. The nerve of these Rangers, thinking that they should actully have some time away from their jobs. At this point, you should have pointed out to him that it's your license fees that pay his salary and that he should be there to serve you 24/7(sounds like you may have done this already). That always seems to keep them on there toes. LOL

SJB said:
...and gives us a ticket for trespassing on WMA property because he said he gives an hour after sunset to get out and I always thought that was when it was dark not a set time.
TWRA really needs to develop an automated text message service that constantly sends us messages letting us know exactly what the rules are while we are on WMA's. We shouldn't have to read the rule book.

SJB said:
Well he needs to think about what if somebody has killed a deer way back in there right at dark? There is no way they could get out in an hour, and what if you have car trouble or anything.
I sure had you shown up late with a deer that needed to be checked in or were broke down somewhere, he would have confiscated the deer, your weapon, your truck, and maybe even your first born child. Them Rangers are just out to get us.

SJB said:
These things need to be thought about at this WMA, because the gates were locked before any 6:50 too, because the ranger was already home and changed and about to eat before 6:50 to 7:00.
Don't you mean that he was "already home and changed and about to eat before 7:00 to 7:10". You've already admitted that you didn't get to the gate any earlier than 6:50. Then you had a 10 minute walk to his house. So, that would put you at his house at 7:00 at the earliest. Correct? I'm not sure how long it takes you to get changed, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't take me any longer than 47 seconds.

A

Anonymous

Sounds like the Ranger was in bad mood and lost a good chance to educate and show a little understanding. Anybody that has not ran behind on getting out of woods has not done much hunting. Don't know both sides of story but sounds like Ranger could have given warning that way if it was legit excuse you know not to let it happen again. I think everyone on this site appreciates a little slack every now and then, but if Ranger wants to write a ticket he has every right.Pay it or go to court and move on.

SJB

It was my first time deer hunting there in my life and yes buzz mcmanus you can say we didnt get there any earlier than 6:50, but we went to one gate and seen it was locked so then we went to another one to see if it was open and that is when we went to his house after we seen the second gate was locked. But oh well I can let things go pretty easy and I dont think the fine and court cost will be to bad since it will be split between 4 of us. I just never knew there was a set time to get out, but I guess we will know now!!

pcrc

SJB said:
It was my first time deer hunting there in my life and yes buzz mcmanus you can say we didnt get there any earlier than 6:50, but we went to one gate and seen it was locked so then we went to another one to see if it was open and that is when we went to his house after we seen the second gate was locked. But oh well I can let things go pretty easy and I dont think the fine and court cost will be to bad since it will be split between 4 of us. I just never knew there was a set time to get out, but I guess we will know now!!
Why was there only one ticket wrote? If there was four of you why didn't each one of you get a ticket.

pcrc

SJB said:
Because it was issued to the driver
Than maybe he did go easy on you all as it would seem to me he could have written each one of you a ticket, or am I wrong. Do you have to be driving a vehicle to be considered trespassing on a WMA that closes at dark?

Latest posts