Its about to begin….

redblood

Hunters always think this sounds fun. It is, for a day or two. Then it's beyond a chore. It's a nightmare really.

Below is a picture of when I worked for a group that did this professionally. Not fun at all.
why did they kill the bucks.? thats why i handle it myself, nothing with testicles can be harmed. also why i told the farmer no more when bought. i was finding deer skulls in the field that had horn pedicles

Rockhound

it is farmed. the previous owner let the farmer kill 100 or so deer on it in a yr. i no longer allow it. he reduced the crop lease rate due to losses to deer but thats ok. i dont want the wrong deer shot
I don't blame you. If I didn't have so much invested I'd sale my farm and buy something away from agriculture because the state had absolutely let the local farmers decimate the deer herd.

Jcalder

Sounds like a lot of work but necessary sometimes. Hopefully you find an outlet for them. I've never found many people willing to take a deer they didn't kill unless it's already butchered and packed.
In the last 10 years, I've probably took 2 deer to every one I've shot. Maybe closer to 3-1. Fix them myself. People don't want the work, but the reward. My family loves the fixings, and it don't take long to put one up.

timberjack86

I have to cut my doe numbers. It has gotten out of hand. I dont really enjoy taking them, but their was over 100 deer i could see out my upstairs window at dark. Gonna cut through 10. Doubt it will make much of a difference. Anyway, cut a dozen arrows and ready to sling a few. If anyone in middle tennessee needs a deer. Let me know
This would be an amazing opportunity for some youngsters! Especially since you don't like killing deer.

muddyboots

Give the farmers time they will buy something close to you, plant it in beans and take your deer heard back to 1983
Absolutely. One of my best spots last year. The neighbor farmer got 150 permits. Oh he wasn't gonna shoot anything but does. Ok. Last year see 10 to 15 deer a sit. I've seen 3 all year this year.

Last edited:

timberjack86

I have one youngster on the job. My son. And i love hunting mature bucks, just dont get alot out of killing half tame does. The killing part is definitely my least favorite part of the hunt.
I understand that, lots of youngsters still have that bloodlust! When I was a kid I was hard on em! Didn't matter if they were half tame or not!

redblood

We take 20-30 a year off 3500 acres. Spread it out through the season & not too cumbersome. We don't shoot does on plots from the last weekend of ML through Christmas. Surrounded by doe sinks...
Work and ball schedules often make me push it back to Christmas break. Also try to get a bit of cold weather so they can hang a day or 2

JohnT

I have to cut my doe numbers. It has gotten out of hand. I dont really enjoy taking them, but their was over 100 deer i could see out my upstairs window at dark. Gonna cut through 10. Doubt it will make much of a difference. Anyway, cut a dozen arrows and ready to sling a few. If anyone in middle tennessee needs a deer. Let me know
I would take a deer (or two). Can process myself. Also happy to come up and help you take some the first week in January.

Latest posts