Some people’s kids....

BlackPlott

Got word yesterday that a buck was seen walking into a thicket on land that I, alone, have permission to hunt on, with an arrow sticking out of it behind its front left leg. I've tried to blow it off, but I can't shake the anger over it. Maybe the deer walked from way out and onto the 160+ acre parcel I hunt. But he'd have to be quite determined if he did. But the things that has me so mad is the obviously terrible shot that was taken on the deer. We, as hunters, are responsible for taking as ethical of a shot as we can. If the shot doesn't present itself, those of us with sense, don't take it. Well this clown obviously hasn't practiced near enough to be going out to ethically shoot and harvest a deer.

Feels good to vent, finally. Hopefully, I can get a chance to put a real shot in him this weekend.
Here's to hoping I find the goon who injured the deer and take him his arrow back. Then I can school him on how, when, and where to shoot if your going to try and take an animals life.

Dbllunger

You have assumed a lot of things.

1. The person was a kid-Everyone is someone's kid. Including you. What makes you think this was a kid.

2. They were hunting on "your" land-160 acres is not a lot of land. That deer could have come from anywhere. You have presented zero proof that someone was trespassing.

3. They were inexperienced-Have you never made a bad shot on a deer with archery tackle. If you haven't then you haven't been archery hunting for very long would be my guess. I'm 54 and have been archery hunting since 14. I have made bad
shots. It happens. Limbs you don't see. Deer jump the string. Misjudge distance. A million things can and will go wrong.

The arrow was sticking out behind the front leg? I thought this was where the heart and lungs were?

If you ever catch up with this "kid" maybe they will educate you.

In reality, you have no clue what happened. You created a scenario in your mind and thats what it is. Hopefully you or someone else gets a chance at this buck again.

Mr.Bro

BlackPlott":27arix2o said:
Got word yesterday that a buck was seen walking into a thicket on land that I, alone, have permission to hunt on, with an arrow sticking out of it behind its front left leg. I've tried to blow it off, but I can't shake the anger over it. Maybe the deer walked from way out and onto the 160+ acre parcel I hunt. But he'd have to be quite determined if he did. But the things that has me so mad is the obviously terrible shot that was taken on the deer. We, as hunters, are responsible for taking as ethical of a shot as we can. If the shot doesn't present itself, those of us with sense, don't take it. Well this clown obviously hasn't practiced near enough to be going out to ethically shoot and harvest a deer.

Feels good to vent, finally. Hopefully, I can get a chance to put a real shot in him this weekend.
Here's to hoping I find the goon who injured the deer and take him his arrow back. Then I can school him on how, when, and where to shoot if your going to try and take an animals life.
How many deer have you killed that were killed cause a perfect shot? How many were less than perfect and you never found them. If you have never lost an arrowed deer then you just haven't killed very many cause its going to happen. Behind the front left leg. Sounds like a good shot to me. Why be so angry? Deer is probably dead in that thicket. Why not be a good guy and help someone find their trophy.

Southern Sportsman

If you saw the deer in the middle of a 5000 acre block of private land it would be entirely possible that it came from somewhere else. To suggest that because it was seen on 160 acre block, it must have been shot there, is comical. A deer with nothing particular on its mind can walk into 160 acre block and out the other side in a matter of minutes. A deer that has been shot- outside of a heart or double-lung shot- can cover miles.

Also, as others have said, arrow behind the front leg doesn't sound like a particularly bad shot. And you didn't see it to conclude otherwise. But even if it was a sub-par hit, get off your high horse unless you're batting .1000 on archery deer.

gobblinfool

Something to think about......we may "own" the land, we may have "permission" to hunt the land........but we don't own the animals.....unless you put up a really high fence and keep them inside of it. God owns the animals and he gives them to us as a gift, whether it be in just seeing a buck of our dreams, or actually getting a shot at such a magnificent animal.

TreyB

That deer isn't restricted to just the 160 acres you hunt. That thing can roam miles on and off your property pretty quick. I would like to hear how or why you think it was a kid? I had to reread your post to make sure the shot didn't mean to say behind the BACK leg. Because behind the front leg isn't as bad as you make it sound. But if you are honest, I bet you $100 to tndeer that you have made a "bad" shot on a deer before.

BlackPlott

Wow. That's all I can say. Ugh...here we go.
Some people's kids is just a saying. I've heard it all my life, unlike some others, obviously.
The point of this post was to try and express my frustration over the deer walking around with an arrow sticking out it's side. Like I said, I didn't see it. I was told by a family member that saw the deer while leaving for work.
And no Dbllunger, I haven't lost a deer because of a bad bow shot. Because around here you have to put work in to kill a deer. They're not running amuck like in those cupcake 3 per day counties.

And southern, I'm not sure where you get my being on some kind of high horse from.

I apologize for coming here to try and express myself. In future posts, I will be sure to explain all things in minute (not 60 seconds) detail for those members who are lacking in the reading comprehension department.

Thanks to those who weren't a jackass with their reply. Good hunting to you guys.

TreyB

BlackPlott":9juptseq said:
Wow. That's all I can say. Ugh...here we go.
Some people's kids is just a saying. I've heard it all my life, unlike some others, obviously.
The point of this post was to try and express my frustration over the deer walking around with an arrow sticking out it's side. Like I said, I didn't see it. I was told by a family member that saw the deer while leaving for work.
And no Dbllunger, I haven't lost a deer because of a bad bow shot. Because around here you have to put work in to kill a deer. They're not running amuck like in those cupcake 3 per day counties.

And southern, I'm not sure where you get my being on some kind of high horse from.

I apologize for coming here to try and express myself. In future posts, I will be sure to explain all things in minute (not 60 seconds) detail for those members who are lacking in the reading comprehension department.

Thanks to those who weren't a ***** with their reply. Good hunting to you guys.

Maybe its the way you worded certain things in your post. "Terrible shot was taken on the deer" is one. "Clown" was two. And assuming "the clown" hadn't practiced enough, three. And finding the "goon" is four.

So maybe it is you wording and assuming is what is bad.

Southern Sportsman

BlackPlott":l2qb4ipx said:

BlackPlott":l2qb4ipx said:
But the things that has me so mad is the obviously terrible shot that was taken on the deer. (a behind-the-front-shoulder shot that you didn't see)
. . . .
those of us with sense . . .
. . . .
this clown obviously hasn't practiced near enough
. . . .
Hopefully, I can get a chance to put a real shot in him
. . . .
Then I can school him on how, when, and where to shoot
. . . .
around here you have to put work in to kill a deer. They're not running amuck like in those cupcake 3 per day counties.

I don't know, man. Must just be my poor reading comprehension.

CDUB

Sounds like you should abandon that 160 acres all together. If they stuck one buck like that, they probably emptied the quiver on the whole bachelor group. I hear there's a few leases in west tn with all PhD and Dr members that have Olympic archery skill. Might be a better environment for you. AND 3 deer per day!!

oldmanelrod

2-Step Enabled
Dbllunger":tihdr3cw said:
You have assumed a lot of things.

1. The person was a kid-Everyone is someone's kid. Including you. What makes you think this was a kid.

2. They were hunting on "your" land-160 acres is not a lot of land. That deer could have come from anywhere. You have presented zero proof that someone was trespassing.

3. They were inexperienced-Have you never made a bad shot on a deer with archery tackle. If you haven't then you haven't been archery hunting for very long would be my guess. I'm 54 and have been archery hunting since 14. I have made bad
shots. It happens. Limbs you don't see. Deer jump the string. Misjudge distance. A million things can and will go wrong.

The arrow was sticking out behind the front leg? I thought this was where the heart and lungs were?

If you ever catch up with this "kid" maybe they will educate you.

In reality, you have no clue what happened. You created a scenario in your mind and thats what it is. Hopefully you or someone else gets a chance at this buck again.

I agree.

Bone Collector

I just read the OP and wow is all I can say. This dude wrote a completely condescending post assuming, pretty much everything, and then got mad when people called him out on it.

Love the "around here you have to put work in to kill a deer. They're not running a muck like in those cupcake 3 per day counties." comment.... :roll: :roll:

Since we are assuming. I will assume this dude got a call from a family member that his "target" buck was seen limping into a thicket on the property. He's mad, because 1. he assumes that a buck wouldn't wonder off the 160 acre parcel :lol: and 2. he is upset, because he will most likely not get to chase this buck. That is my assumption based on this post.

I also assume that he is the type that gets mad when a buck he is after gets killed by a neighbor, because it was his....

Latest posts