Kids doubled from same blind (long read)

TN Larry

It has been tough for us the past few weeks, but my kids have hunted hard. They've had a few opportunities but some bad luck caused them not to seal the deal especially my son. I kept telling them that sometimes you're the bug, but sometimes you're the windshield. And it was time to be the windshield……

We got home Saturday afternoon after a long day. My son had a good buck run a doe over him at dark and got busted by the doe without a shot. My daughter and I got busted at dark by a deer we couldn't tell what was. We were irritable and not in good spirits. It was getting old being the bug.

In church on Sunday morning, the preacher read Phillipians 4:6….."do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God." I thought it and my son looked at me and said that applies to deer hunting too. We can't be anxious and take what the Lord blesses us with when he sees fit.

Fast forward to today…..My daughter stayed out of school today due to her having a game day so we could hunt this afternoon. We climbed in the Redneck blind about 2:15, and a buck stepped out at 5 yards at 2:45. It spooked a little to 20 yards, but she downed him when he stopped to look back. She was ecstatic to seal the deal. (And for anyone asking, no orange because of land owner exemption.)

ADBD5BF4-A9B6-471D-8781-41A44A22BECF.jpeg

My son came straight from school to help load it up. We took pictures in the field and drug it behind the blind to field dress. I told him after field dressing that if I were him that I'd climb up and see what happens. It was around 3:30 then with about an hour and a half of shooting light left. He still had his school clothes on, but the wind was perfect. So he grabbed my gun and hoodie and climbed up.

My daughter and I left to show the deer to my uncle and dad. My son called me about 4:25 and said a big buck had chased a doe across the field and what to do. I told him not to call to them and sit tight. He called back about 20 mins later and said he'd just shot a good 8pt. It came out about 80 yds and was working a scrape when he shot it. I grabbed my Dad and we headed to look for it. There was no blood due to the angle of the shot, but it only ran about 40 yds.

My daughter's was a 7pt with a broke brow tine and my son's an 8pt with super long brow tines.

Praise the Lord for a very blessed afternoon! It's sure nice to finally be the windshield and not the bug. We're still on cloud 9 and adrenaline but time for bed to get up in the morning to do it again.

7D5D9224-EF99-4FC9-B829-036246FDD7C4.jpeg

8E77799D-D8B4-4E15-B7AF-19C32752471C.jpeg

56762D61-EE44-4AF9-BDC1-FE010381B26F.jpeg

E9A0D9CD-47E7-4CE8-890D-286524B65A14.jpeg

767FCB61-15D2-4383-B2DB-544F2C768C6B.jpeg

kaizen leader

It has been tough for us the past few weeks, but my kids have hunted hard. They've had a few opportunities but some bad luck caused them not to seal the deal especially my son. I kept telling them that sometimes you're the bug, but sometimes you're the windshield. And it was time to be the windshield……

We got home Saturday afternoon after a long day. My son had a good buck run a doe over him at dark and got busted by the doe without a shot. My daughter and I got busted at dark by a deer we couldn't tell what was. We were irritable and not in good spirits. It was getting old being the bug.

In church on Sunday morning, the preacher read Phillipians 4:6….."do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God." I thought it and my son looked at me and said that applies to deer hunting too. We can't be anxious and take what the Lord blesses us with when he sees fit.

Fast forward to today…..My daughter stayed out of school today due to her having a game day so we could hunt this afternoon. We climbed in the Redneck blind about 2:15, and a buck stepped out at 5 yards at 2:45. It spooked a little to 20 yards, but she downed him when he stopped to look back. She was ecstatic to seal the deal. (And for anyone asking, no orange because of land owner exemption.)

View attachment 204303

My son came straight from school to help load it up. We took pictures in the field and drug it behind the blind to field dress. I told him after field dressing that if I were him that I'd climb up and see what happens. It was around 3:30 then with about an hour and a half of shooting light left. He still had his school clothes on, but the wind was perfect. So he grabbed my gun and hoodie and climbed up.

My daughter and I left to show the deer to my uncle and dad. My son called me about 4:25 and said a big buck had chased a doe across the field and what to do. I told him not to call to them and sit tight. He called back about 20 mins later and said he'd just shot a good 8pt. It came out about 80 yds and was working a scrape when he shot it. I grabbed my Dad and we headed to look for it. There was no blood due to the angle of the shot, but it only ran about 40 yds.

My daughter's was a 7pt with a broke brow tine and my son's an 8pt with super long brow tines.

Praise the Lord for a very blessed afternoon! It's sure nice to finally be the windshield and not the bug. We're still on cloud 9 and adrenaline but time for bed to get up in the morning to do it again.

View attachment 204306

View attachment 204307

View attachment 204308

View attachment 204309

View attachment 204310
That's a fantastic. Family outing. Congratulations.

Latest posts