So what is the point of allowing kids to shoot

infoman jr.

Doskil":29knm2v8 said:
knightrider":29knm2v8 said:
Doskil":29knm2v8 said:
I guess but it can also negate the effect of requiring adults to abide by restrictions?
Kids vs adults I can't see where any adult could have a problem with this, care to explain exactly how it's going to negate anything?

Sure there obviously is a biological reason for the antler restrictions right?

So why exempt kids from what you are trying to do to improve the deer herd on this particular property?
because our deer population is doing a lot better than our hunter recruitment.

landman

HunterVol1143":2f7txrdv said:
EastTNcowsNwhitetails":2f7txrdv said:
I support the idea honestly. I want kids to grow up being hunters in tn. In those early years i think its important to shoot whatever the kid sees and wants to shoot. If they have a few under their belt maybe atart teaching restraint and waiting on mature deer for sure, but i support kids killing a deer their very first time they go hunting just like i did. I got lucky and killed a spike when i was 12 years old on my first hunt and ive been hooked ever since. Ive killed my share of spikes and 4 pointers and 6 pointers. Now i wont shoot a deer thats under 3.5 years old. Its a natural progression. I know when my 3 year old son is big enough to shoot a gun im going to take him to my best spot i have and let him shoot the first thing that comes through in hopes of hooking him for life. I think us adults can handle the youngsters shooting a few of our young bucks a few days out of the year.

This. I couldn't agree more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This ^^^^^

mike243

Had some folks on here a few years ago that were mad because they couldn't bow hunt during the youth hunt :evil: pitiful excuse for a grownup in my opinion

Bone Collector

EastTNcowsNwhitetails":2l6w02j8 said:
I support the idea honestly. I want kids to grow up being hunters in tn. In those early years i think its important to shoot whatever the kid sees and wants to shoot. If they have a few under their belt maybe atart teaching restraint and waiting on mature deer for sure, but i support kids killing a deer their very first time they go hunting just like i did. I got lucky and killed a spike when i was 12 years old on my first hunt and ive been hooked ever since. Ive killed my share of spikes and 4 pointers and 6 pointers. Now i wont shoot a deer thats under 3.5 years old. Its a natural progression. I know when my 3 year old son is big enough to shoot a gun im going to take him to my best spot i have and let him shoot the first thing that comes through in hopes of hooking him for life. I think us adults can handle the youngsters shooting a few of our young bucks a few days out of the year.

Exactly. It won't hurt anything losing a couple of young bucks. kids shouldn't be bound by restrictions.

Doskil

mike243":wjbp56z9 said:
Had some folks on here a few years ago that were mad because they couldn't bow hunt during the youth hunt :evil: pitiful excuse for a grownup in my opinion

Adults can bow hunt during the youth day in NC.

It turned out not to be a big deal allowing both to hunt.

Doskil

plinker22":5oc3e1hh said:
doskil, I am totally blown away by this question? I am at a loss for words.

>>> backspace <<< SMH

Why aren't they exempt from the antler restrictions during the "regular" seasons (G/M/A) as well?

Youth are NOT exempt from antler restrictions at Catoosa WMA?

Anyway have a good upcoming hunting season and folks will realize kids are not exempt from all the restrictions

RobbyW

Doskil":if21nx9i said:
mike243":if21nx9i said:

Adults can bow hunt during the youth day in NC.

It turned out not to be a big deal allowing both to hunt.

My argument to this is how many kids don't go on the juvy because Dad was bow hunting?

Juvy wasn't a big deal around my house. I got my son at 9. We sat right besides each other for 3 years anytime he wanted to go throughout the year. Eventually we moved up to me walking him to his stand getting him setup before I walked a little bit off. Now we part ways at the truck and he texts me when he is settled.

Before my boy got past juvy age, I volunteered my dad to sit with my son and I started taking a young man from church that loved to hunt. His Dad did too but only took Hunter during youth hunts so he had a kid to check in the deer he killed. Dad was worthless and eventually he stopped taking him altogether. I started carrying Hunter during the youth hunts and then as many times as I could. We average 9-10 hunts a year. Those videos I posted were with hunter a couple years ago. Last year a doe walks out and I tell him it's his call. He passes because he wants a buck. Few minutes later a fork horn comes out. He ask if he can shoot him and I gave the green light. Buck didn't score 60, but there was more excitement that 125" deer I have killed. He made me stop at the store to get a drink and he dropped the tailgate and sat with his deer so all the other hunters could gaze at the beast.

Ones man scrub buck is another kids trophy buck. And yes he euro mounted that deer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EastTNcowsNwhitetails

So i guess making a kid "feel good" about a successful hunt is different than making you "feel good" because you killed a large buck? Im 100 percent for passing immature bucks and holding out for mature bucks because thats what gets me excited. I use to have a rule when i was younger after i had killed a few. If it got me tore all to pieces id shoot it. Now, it takes a big mature buck to get me tore up. But if i had to wait as long as it takes sometimes to kill a mature buck when i was young, i would have probably gotten bored with it and just stuck to playing baseball and basketball and football everyday and not making time to hunt within all my sports i played. I was hooked from my first hunt because of the feeling of adrenaline and buck fever that over took me for my little spike i killed and have mounted and i am just as proud of it as any of the big bucks that are around him.

rukiddin

mike243":2ay292sy said:

I personally think it's a pitiful excuse of a grownup that puts a dang deer ahead of family. Another pitiful excuse is a man who thinks that's the only day he "has" to take his kid or any kid hunting. Not saying you. Just saying we all know those types. I don't understand why adults can't hunt private land on youth day. I'm not against it. I just don't understand the reasoning behind it. Many many hunters have very few weekends they get to hunt and have no youth to take and landowners are very picky about any guests. I'm all for youngsters shooting the first deer they see. It actually pains me to see young hunters passing deer because that's what their dad does or what they've seen on tv. I'm all about getting youth involved. I hope my daughter wants to go hunting when she gets old enough and if she wants to fill every tag she has shooting knotheads, then I'm gonna let her. Part of me actually doesn't want her to become a deer hunter because of what it's turned into. Now wingshooting and clays on the other hand.....................