What is the #1 Calendar Date to Be in the Woods?

UTGrad

What is the #1 date on the calendar to be in the woods in your area? I've read over the years that November 6th is a top producing day for big bucks.

What date on the calendar do you plan on skipping work or calling in sick?

BSK

Very property specific because of varying peak breeding dates across the state.

On my place in western Humphreys County, I wouldn't miss Nov. 10-12. That's the start of our peak breeding and when we have seen the most older bucks chasing does during daylight. A secondary peak occurs at the end of peak breeding, Nov. 18-20.

bowhunterfanatic

Very property specific because of varying peak breeding dates across the state.

On my place in western Humphreys County, I wouldn't miss Nov. 10-12. That's the start of our peak breeding and when we have seen the most older bucks chasing does during daylight. A secondary peak occurs at the end of peak breeding, Nov. 18-20.
Almost a full month later for us. On my family farm Dec 10 - 13 is usually can't miss.

philsanchez76

For reference im in Rutherford county most of the season. 11/19 is a day that a decent buck almost always gets whacked round here. that's a must hunt day every year. But I will l say that 12/5 or so always seems to be when I see the largest and oldest bucks moving around.

agelessssone

What is the #1 date on the calendar to be in the woods in your area? I've read over the years that November 6th is a top producing day for big bucks.

What date on the calendar do you plan on skipping work or calling in sick?
Where you hunt has everything to do with rut timing.
In northern IL where I used to live, it was Nov 7-14.
Here near Nashville, I'm out November 14-18.

Antler Daddy

Depends on where you hunt. Optimal hunt dates span at least a month across the State of TN.
For me and two 16 year olds, we are more than blessed for this year. I have planned this for some time and most of it is on public land:
  • Oct 26-28 Dawson forest bear/quality buck in GA, or Catoosa muzzleloader, or last TN juvenile
  • Nov 4-5 at Big Rivers WMA quota near Sturgis, KY
  • Nov 10-11 TN
  • Nov 19-20 at Fort Knox gun quota, or LBL quota gun on 18-20 in KY
  • Thanksgiving week - Lawrence County, TN
  • then Laurel Hill 3rd hunt or possibly Fort Knox again
Depending on weather, work load, etc., I may try to sneak a few days in from Nov 6-9 and 12-18. Best buck movement is likely during 6-9th for me. Nov. 7th has always been a great day.

Last edited:

BSK

I've killed most all my deer between 11/9 - 11/16. I really hone in on getting bucks during their cruising/seeking phase. That's my style of hunting and what works for me. I've learned a great deal on how deer use the terrain.
Agree completely. My hunting style is designed around cruising/seeking bucks. For my place, that's from Nov. 1-9. After that, it will be full-bore chasing.

Latest posts