SMK for Deer?

Hardwoodmaterials

It will but it may pencil through leaving very little blood trail if any or may blow up when it hits like a varmint bullet or it may mushroom and work perfectly fine. I have always been told the difference between target bullets and hunting bullets is one is designed for paper with no regards to results on live targets and the other is designed for consistent performance on game.

Mausermeister

While the open tip makes it technically legal to hunt with in TN, I wouldn't recommend using them regularly. My one experience with 77gr SMK broadside shot on deer at approximately150 yards. Bullet hit rib on entrance and shattered into four pieces, shredded heart and lower lungs, fragments found against rib cage on opposite side. Weight of recovered fragments 67gr. If it had not struck the rib, I believe it would probably have punched through intact without expanding.

tug

If the question is whether it is a good idea to use a match bullet on game, the answer is no. Some states specify expanding bullets. TN only prohibits FMJ. A SMK terminal performance is very similar to FMJ.

Remi

Not the SMK but the Hornady ELD-M match bullets are absolute deer slayers.

I've seen quite a few 140 eld-m's used on hogs and deer from a 6.5CM. I can't imagine finding a better bullet from the results we've seen.

puppy

A rock will kill a deer but doesn't mean that it is the best choice, in general I shy away from "target bullets" bullets for hunting. I like mono bullets but any good soft point will do the job.

skipperbrown

I've seen a lot of brags about kills with smk. However, I haven't seen anyone post about losing one because they didn't have a blood trail. I heard that smk won't open at less than 1700 fps, but who really knows? If smk shoot good out of your gun, I would try to find a game bullet that is very similar and match the weight/velocity.

PMC certified

Thanks for all the input.

As was posted earlier deer are pretty easy to kill. Therefore, I am personally of the opinion that precision shot placement is of the most importance.
In some rifles I have found accurate loads with SMK's. I have used them with success previously and hope to use them again.

Latest posts