Small River/Stream Float Trips

Mike Belt

Anybody ever float hunt these? Late season when all the local standing water is frozen around here the small waterways (like Loosahatchie) are still flowing. I used to put in at one bridge and float down to the next to take out. I always got some shooting at a wide range of different species. If there's snow or ice on the ground the very edge of the water usually has an open area about 6"-1' above water level up the bank and is usually covered with snipe or woodcock as well.

spoonie

I've floated the buffalo river several times when the shallow water and fields freeze up, we just don't get the cold weather like we use to so I haven't done the trip in 4 or 5 years. I remember one time myself and two other guys were floating down when an eagle flew by and circled, he spooked up a bunch of mallards sending them right over the top of us about 15 yards high, I believe we killed 7 of them thanks to that bald eagle.

Tennrock

That is cool. About 3 weeks ago I saw a Eagle dive right outside my office window. About 5 ducks went in all directions. He missed and pulled up right above the water.

spoonie":3p9gdzli said:
I've floated the buffalo river several times when the shallow water and fields freeze up, we just don't get the cold weather like we use to so I haven't done the trip in 4 or 5 years. I remember one time myself and two other guys were floating down when an eagle flew by and circled, he spooked up a bunch of mallards sending them right over the top of us about 15 yards high, I believe we killed 7 of them thanks to that bald eagle.

Latest posts