Short MAG vs. Long trac rifles

mike243

i have a 300wm,the short 1 has less bullet weight selection as feed problems accur over 180g from what i have read,also only 100fps faster,the other caliburs show a bigger improvement on the balistics ,the 270 in the short has great looking #s,finding ammo might prove to cost more & limit where you can buy it,mike243

Model70Man

I'm a huge WSM fan. The cartrdge is more efficient using less powder and doesn't need the longer barrel to achieve the same velocities or even better velocities than it's long action cousin. The WSM action length is shorter than the long action which in turn creates a lighter weight rifle. So you get a shorter and lighter rifle that does the same thing the long action rifle does. Also, the WSM's percieved recoil is less than the long action rifle due to the cartidge efficiency.

Ammo will be a tad higher for the WSM. You will find that the WSM ammo will have more premium bullets than the long action calibers. So, if you want to plink, it may be better to go with the long action. If you reload, it really doesn't matter.

dmitchell28

Model70Man said:
I'm a huge WSM fan. The cartrdge is more efficient using less powder and doesn't need the longer barrel to achieve the same velocities or even better velocities than it's long action cousin. The WSM action length is shorter than the long action which in turn creates a lighter weight rifle. So you get a shorter and lighter rifle that does the same thing the long action rifle does. Also, the WSM's percieved recoil is less than the long action rifle due to the cartidge efficiency.

Ammo will be a tad higher for the WSM. You will find that the WSM ammo will have more premium bullets than the long action calibers. So, if you want to plink, it may be better to go with the long action. If you reload, it really doesn't matter.

ditto!!! I have a .300 WSM featherweight...if it wasnt for the price of the shells....I would have to say best gun on the market....Dont get me wrong..the 270 is the gun for choice for everyone..but I love everything about my gun!

ewc

I like the WSM's too, but some of the above info is not entirely correct.

In my .270, I load 58 gr of powder. My 270 wsm uses 66 gr of the same powder - 270 wsm consumes more powder. My 270 shoots 3100, 270wsm shoots 3275 both with 130's. Both of my .270s weigh virtually the same. Recoil is greater with the 270 wsm for obvious reasons.

In the 7 versions, they are basically even in speed, recoil, and case capacity. I have since sold my 7mag, but still load for the 7 wsm.

I have not worked with the 300 wsm, so I'm not commenting on the 300 version.

Locksley

Model70Man said:

Why can you get by with a short barrell on a short Mag.??

DEER ASSASSIN said:
i like rem version better than wsm

saum for me

They are both good designs. Unfortunatley the RSAUM's will be obsolete. WSM's are outselling the RSAUM big time. The WSM family offers a slightly greater case capacity. Remington is even backing away from thier own RSAUM's.

Locksley said:
Model70Man said:

because the fat powder column of the short mag cases allow more powder to be burned at a time, and more uniformily.

Model70Man

mr.big said:
I don`t believe it,,they are using some powder that we can`t get.

I know Hornady uses a powder not available to the public in their Light Magnum and Heavy Magnum line, but for your basic WSM, what Hillbilly stated is fact.

Winchester made the Win 780 powder available now. It was their proprietary powder for the WSM which is now available.

Locksley

Hillbilly Hunter said:
Locksley said:
Model70Man said:

because the fat powder column of the short mag cases allow more powder to be burned at a time, and more uniformily.

Well then the longer barell will give even more velocity then and get that loud ear spillitin noise farther from my ears.
Locksley

Model70Man

No, it won't give you more velocity. An extra 2 inches isn't going to make any difference in the noise either. The inefficiency of the 300 Win Mag cartridge requires a longer barrel to try to get to the same velocity of the 300 WSM. A 300 Win Mag with a 26" tube will have the same, more than likely 100 to 150 fps less velocity than a 300 WSM with a 24" tube. http://www.winchester.com/products/cata ... =1&atype=1.

Locksley

Model70Man said:
No, it won't give you more velocity. An extra 2 inches isn't going to make any difference in the noise either. The inefficiency of the 300 Win Mag cartridge requires a longer barrel to try to get to the same velocity of the 300 WSM. A 300 Win Mag with a 26" tube will have the same, more than likely 100 to 150 fps less velocity than a 300 WSM with a 24" tube. http://www.winchester.com/products/cata ... =1&atype=1.

Well then the longer barell will give even more velocity then and get that loud ear spillitin noise farther from my ears. It has to be better than the short barrell in my way of thinking . LOL

Locksley

backstraps

I have read so many discussions on this topic:
I just bought a Winchester Model 70 270 wsm
Done a few simple modifications. The gun absolutely is by far y favorite rifle to shoot now! I shot 350 yards Saturday with the gun and grouped unreal pattern!

WSM I think in any caliper would be the way to go!

Expensive to shoot unless you reload, but worth it in the long run. Plinking.. not a good choice to hunt with...I dont think you could beat the WSM's

Model70Man

Locksley said:
Model70Man said:

Well then the longer barell will give even more velocity then and get that loud ear spillitin noise farther from my ears. It has to be better than the short barrell in my way of thinking . LOL

Locksley

I'm trying to figure out how you think the longer barrel will give more velocity in a Win Mag vs. WSM with a 24 inch barrel??? :confused:

Latest posts