Shoot 'em in the Lips!

gil1

As a confirmed and proud lower class outdoorsman (I fish for carp on purpose), I will come boldly out and admit that I blow stuff up even if it tastes like crap. I am well known for shooting point-blank at coots dabbling in front of the decoys just as the sun rises. I have never actually hit one, but I have accidentally sunk several decoys this way.

I like to pound shovelers too (we call 'em "smallards"). They taste like crap, but they are the only species dumb enough to come to my calling.

True story - I'm a surf and turf kind of guy. If I'm hunting big water (not really for the pit and rice field scenario), I'll make a fishing hand line out of decoy cord and toss out some bait for carp and catfish. It is a ball especially if hunting sux. It wasn't funny when Chaucer, my uncle's Chessie, got a 2/0 hook in his leg. Man, that was a serious cluster! I had to clean guns and break ice the rest of the trip.

So what kind of duck hunter are you?

Chaneylake

JohnnyBond in the world famous Chaney Lake Lemonade Blind, lol
12-13-2007070018PM.jpg

buttonhead

I would have to say I'm pretty hardcore when it comes to duck hunting. It doesn't matter how far, or how hard I have to work, if there is a chance I can kill a duck I'm going. Since we have had a 60 day season, I've averaged about 50 days per season. I actually chose a carrer where I could take off during the winter pretty much anytime I wanted. I live and breath ducks. THANKS FOR THE NEW FORUM RUGER!!!

WingNut

I'd have to say I am a pretty hardcore duck hunter. I have gone to some crazy lenths to kill a duck. I have driven 5 hours unpacked my stuff got back in the truck and walked a mile in waist deep water to get to a hole on public land before anyone could get out there. There are a few guys that have made that trip with me on this site. Some would say we are stupid but to land forty or more green heads in a timber hole the size of a dump truck and shoot em at 10 yards you can't explain it to anyone until you experience it.

buttonhead

WingNut said:
Some would say we are stupid but to land forty or more green heads in a timber hole the size of a dump truck and shoot em at 10 yards you can't explain it to anyone until you experience it.

Amen to that!!!

rukiddin

I had rather duck hunt than eat. If I had somewhere to shoot ducks consistantly, I would sell all my deer hunting stuff. Everybody always talks about how hard an old buck is to kill, but imo if you can convince a wad of late season mallards/pintails to come into your decoys after they've been shot at for the last 3 months and 1000miles then you have truly accomplished a great feat. I've killed tons of deer and a few nice ones, but 2 years ago, me and two buddies convinced 7 mallards to drop in at about 10yds and we killed all of'em. I have never gotten that kind of rush from deer hunting. To this day the squeal of a woodduck at first shooting light, still gets my heart to pumping.

RNT

rukiddin? said:
I had rather duck hunt than eat. If I had somewhere to shoot ducks consistantly, I would sell all my deer hunting stuff. Everybody always talks about how hard an old buck is to kill, but imo if you can convince a wad of late season mallards/pintails to come into your decoys after they've been shot at for the last 3 months and 1000miles then you have truly accomplished a great feat. I've killed tons of deer and a few nice ones, but 2 years ago, me and two buddies convinced 7 mallards to drop in at about 10yds and we killed all of'em. I have never gotten that kind of rush from deer hunting. To this day the squeal of a woodduck at first shooting light, still gets my heart to pumping.

ditto...nuff said!

CBU93

With friends

MoonLake2.jpg

Or by myself

JustMe.jpg

I like to kill them�Mallards, pintails, bluebills, spoonies, grey ducks, woodies, widgeon�matters not. If they will decoy and cup up, I�m shooting at them! :D

I have hunted from pits, blinds, boats, walk in timber, hunkered in the weeds, laying on the levee, fields, woods, canals, rivers, lakes, ponds, bar ditches, flooded roads....if there are ducks there, I'm after them.

Latest posts