Shark Steak

TennesseeRains

Guys...my brother fishes all over the hemisphere and has acquired some black tip sharp steaks and he's been kind enough to pass one on to me. It's pretty big - I guess 10 - 12 inch square by about 3 inches thick more or less.

I have absolutely no idea how to cook this...grill, bake, etc. Anybody got some pointers?

DaveB

Very limited experience.

I know they lose moisture FAST when cooking.

Also if overcooked they are dry, a bit chewy.

If you grill/bbq/fry I would not use the entire chunk. Cut a small piece off and try different methods.

JimFromTN

I would cut it into chunks that are no more than an inch thick. Take a big whiff of the meat. If its got a strong urine smell, soak it in water and a little lemon juice overnight. Sharks urinate thru their skin and really need to be bled out, gutted, and thrown in ice as soon as they are boated. If the shark sits too long before gutting and bleeding, the meat will become impregnated with the urine and sometimes can't be fixed. As for cooking, grill it basting with lemon butter.

jb3

I've eaten mako before. It wasn't the best, but wasn't too bad. Served over succotash.

wildb1

I agree with cutting it into 1" filets and smelling it and soaking it if it smells. I have cooked and ate shark many times. Everyone here is dead on. Don't over cook it. The best shark fillets I have had, I soaked them for a day in margarita mix, patted dry with a paper towel, rubbed with olive oil, seasoned with Cajun or blackened seasoning and cooked them on the grill on aluminum foil. Stay by the grill and check them regularly. flip them once after about 2-3 minutes. Sure can be some fine eating. Melt some butter and drizzle over the top before eating, oh and eat them while still warm off the grill.

JimFromTN

I can't cook and eat shark. I have to let someone else prepare it if I am going to eat it. The smell gets into my olfactories or something and affects my taste buds. If I cook it, it will taste like a big urine steak regardless of how well it was prepared. I will be gagging while everyone else is loving it.

TennesseeRains

Thanks for the pointers boys.

I did soak it - and cut it into 1" steaks. I had some blackening seasoning my daughter brought me from St. George's Island back last summer, so I sprinkled it on the shark - and grilled it. I've got a Lodge grilling grate like thing I picked up down at their outlet store beside their plant - so I used it to grill on.

Made shark tacos and they were great! Now, I must say, they weren't as good as halibut - however, seeing as I feel that's the best fish that swims...it's hard to compare the two.

Not bad, not bad at all!

Latest posts