Serious questions as season approaches!

Fatboy99

I take nothing for granted, when opportunity arises I'm taking it. And I swallowed my pride long ago, sorry jake.

Layne

Have to disagree, as to me, there is nothing better than FEELING the air, seems like even the ground, VIBRATE from a DRUMMING Old Tom!

Every time I FEEL a drumming Tom "slipping" up behind me, I'm reminded of that scene from the original Jurassic Park movie, where the glass of water started vibrated. You could "feel" the vibration, something "big" was about to happen.

You don't just hear drumming, you FEEL it.
It feels something like the vibration of distant bombs, or an approaching earthquake.
You'll often feel this vibration before you hear the drumming.

Typically, an old Tom that comes in "silent" may gobble once on the roost, once on the ground. Assume he can hear and heard your hen calls, then shut up. May take him a couple hours or longer, but he's often coming your direction, slowly & surely, maybe after he breeds some hens.

Many hunters simply get up & relocate too soon, the old Tom sees (or hears) them, the hunter never knew. Once I know or believe he heard me, and assuming I'm already in a good position, I'm not relocating for at least hours. Between 10A & Noon can be magical times for taking those older Toms.
Oh you are right about the drumming, love to hear it, just after he's gobbled to me a few times… I do find it hard to stay put when they aren't gobbling.
Just me personally, I'd rather bump a couple of silent birds looking for that excited one… I just can't deer hunt them.
I do admire the patience of those that can wait out the silent ones…

Layne

Back in the 80's & 90's, when TN had a 2-bird turkey limit, I remember several times "limiting out" the first weekend of the season. And, actually liked to do that, just so I could then focus on early April fishing. Early April is just generally the most wonderful time to be on the water.

But when the turkey limit went to 3, then 4, I started turkey hunting the month of April, at the expense of fishing.

Maybe it sounds somewhat "sacrilegious" to some of you, but I'm kinda just SOMEWHAT "over" turkey hunting, and actually looking more forward to fishing this year the 1st two weeks of April.

Not that I don't really enjoy turkey hunting, but I figure my best turkey hunting is behind me, and it was back in the 90's and early 2000's. Not sure exactly all the reasons, but back then, Toms were simply more vocal, at least in the places I hunted then and still hunt now.
Yeah I use to be a tournament fisherman… then a Turkey gobbled at me…

woodsman04

If I call a long beard up playing the game I shoot it. Whether it takes 2 hunts or 45. I'll still go with others if I get done

But I don't have many birds so it will be tough regardless.

Atchman2

Many turkey hunters cannot relate to this statement as they have never heard or felt drumming. My hearing ability has diminished over the years. In my 20s, I could hear drumming at 80-100 yards on a clear, calm day. In my late 30s that diminished to 60 yards or so, and now he needs to be 40-50, or closer for me to pick it up clearly. Being capable of hearing drumming at 80-100 yards is one of the things I miss most about turkey hunting these days. It is a very deadly tool in the hardwoods where I hunt.
I wear those Walker Game Ears, you can hear a bug crawling in leaves with those things on!

Andy S.

I wear those Walker Game Ears, you can hear a bug crawling in leaves with those things on!
I've talked to several guys who use some sort of hearing aids. The one thing they all said is they get a lot of noise distraction from all sounds being amplified, and they cannot decipher direction that good with game ears (muffs), aids, etc. I do not know if that is true for everyone, but a handful of guys have all told me that.

PalsPal

When I hear drumming, it sounds like it's all around me

I'm the same. I'm 58, and until probably 5-6 years ago I had never heard it. I still have only heard it maybe 8-10 times, but the last one I was completely wrong on the direction.

I would've bet a lot of money it was straight in front of me. After a few seconds of not seeing anything, I slowly turned left and saw him and was able to take him.

Those that can hear drumming are cheating 😀!

TheLBLman

I think "drumming" may be a sound that many hear, but if have never realized its source, it gets discounted as just some kind of non-descript background noise. First time I ever identified it, it was from an old Tom that slipped up behind me, and when he got within 10 feet of me, it seemed very loud, sending shivers up my spine. I was half expecting some gigantic Komodo dragon lizard to just grab me from behind.

Funny thing is, after that first time identifying the sound, again, more a "vibration" to me, I've since heard it about every year, often from multiple Toms in a single season. It's just not often hunters have a strutting Tom within a few feet of them, and that contributes to many having never identified this sound, maybe just discounting it as some distant low frequency hum.

My hearing is not as good as it once was, but I typically can hear one drumming within 35 yds or so if it's not windy. They will more often than not come up from behind you, as they seem to stay in the cover more, checking things out, before coming more out into the open. We tend to have our backs to the heavier cover, watching the more open areas in front of us. Sometimes they will just circle those areas, drumming.

PalsPal

First time I ever identified it, it was from an old Tom that slipped up behind me, and when he got within 10 feet of me, it seemed very loud, sending shivers up my spine.

That is exactly what happened to me, except he couldn't have been more than 5 steps behind me walking a logging road, and I was facing a field edge. When I felt it, I knew exactly what it was and was almost brought to tears that I had finally heard it. And, no, I did not get a shot.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
Like most years I will hunt the last few days. I never hunt till my property owners and their guests have scored. By then many gobblers have gone silent (especially the old ones) and patience is your friend. I seldom hunt mornings myself finding mid day and afternoon a much more rewarding time to be in the woods. I have clients in Tennessee and Kentucky but never limit out in both states.

Atchman2

I've talked to several guys who use some sort of hearing aids. The one thing they all said is they get a lot of noise distraction from all sounds being amplified, and they cannot decipher direction that good with game ears (muffs), aids, etc. I do not know if that is true for everyone, but a handful of guys have all told me that.
Well I am hearing impaired already. I normally can't wear my hearing aids and shoot, but I do "think" my hearing aids blank out when you fire.

My friend bought the game ears for me. You just have to mess with the volume. If you crank them all the way up, yes it is overwhelming. I hunt near the New River and when that bad boy is roaring, I have to turn them down. He bought the walkie talkie attachment for them too, so we can speak quietly. I love them. My grandkids run around the house wearing them. You can attach a jack to them and use them as headphones, if you take the walkie talkie off. I have been known when I am hog hunting or deer hunting, to run my phone into them and binge watch shows. :)

I think what I would do is to order them on Amazon and try them. If you don't like them, just send them back. I pretty much guarantee you will enjoy them. There are also lesser brands that work too, just not as well as the real ones. I have a few pairs of those too that I tried. They work okay, but the headset part on them isn't good. Not tried the ear plug version yet though.

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
I will shoot the first two that come in.

As far drumming, I can remember the first time I heard it, and can't count the number of times I've used that sound to know there's a gobbler nearby and killed him. The first time I got caught waiting on a field edge for the birds to gobble and one pitched down from the ridge above me and landed smack in the middle of the field and started gobbling the moment he hit the ground. He was maybe 100 yards from me, but it was so dark still that I was able to step into the woods and basically fall down. In moments there were probably 30 hens and 5-6 more gobblers in front of me that had sailed from the ridge down to the field…sounded like F15's gliding down. Anyway, I was caught just laying there and all I could do was watch and listen. They got within a couple feet of my toes and I could hear every little squeak and pop the hens made and every drum the toms made. Two things I'll never forget are the number of terrible calls the hens made and the sound of drumming. Totally changed my perspective on calling, knowing I didn't have to be perfect, and hearing drumming opened up a whole new world.

ROVERBOY

I had a older gobbler come in behind me several years ago, he was drumming like John Bonham. I was set up at a huge oak tree. The oak was wider than me by quite a lot. I couldn't see him till he got around me and about 40 yards out in front. I killed him but, it seemed like 15 minutes or more

Joe2Kool

Won't change my strategy if I'm in the woods. Mature bird within 40 yards is a dead bird.

However, it will affect my hunting days. If I kill a bird early, I've got the April 22nd Oak Ridge hunt, so I won't hunt again until after that.

Duck dogn

Will the 2 bird limit affect your decisions on which birds you take?

Ex. Opening morning, you have multiple birds hammering and answering. But a silent 2 yr old comes in. Do you shoot?

Ex 2 You kill opening day. Your next hunt, you're presented with a quick kill opportunity. Do you end your season?

Honestly, I'm not sure how I'd answer. I do have others that I can take, so that factors.

I just want to have as many memorable hunts as possible.

Curious if you'll approach it differently?
I know I've always been honest but alot probably won't tag them at all with the online tagging jmho

Latest posts