Serious questions as season approaches!

TheLBLman

... as for one slipping in silently, I'd still try and get him to fire up once I spotted him... not much fun if you don't feel the gobble...
Have to disagree, as to me, there is nothing better than FEELING the air, seems like even the ground, VIBRATE from a DRUMMING Old Tom!

Every time I FEEL a drumming Tom "slipping" up behind me, I'm reminded of that scene from the original Jurassic Park movie, where the glass of water started vibrated. You could "feel" the vibration, something "big" was about to happen.

You don't just hear drumming, you FEEL it.
It feels something like the vibration of distant bombs, or an approaching earthquake.
You'll often feel this vibration before you hear the drumming.

Typically, an old Tom that comes in "silent" may gobble once on the roost, once on the ground. Assume he can hear and heard your hen calls, then shut up. May take him a couple hours or longer, but he's often coming your direction, slowly & surely, maybe after he breeds some hens.

Many hunters simply get up & relocate too soon, the old Tom sees (or hears) them, the hunter never knew. Once I know or believe he heard me, and assuming I'm already in a good position, I'm not relocating for at least hours. Between 10A & Noon can be magical times for taking those older Toms.

Andy S.

....... there is nothing better than FEELING the air, seems like even the ground, VIBRATE from a DRUMMING Old Tom!
Many turkey hunters cannot relate to this statement as they have never heard or felt drumming. My hearing ability has diminished over the years. In my 20s, I could hear drumming at 80-100 yards on a clear, calm day. In my late 30s that diminished to 60 yards or so, and now he needs to be 40-50, or closer for me to pick it up clearly. Being capable of hearing drumming at 80-100 yards is one of the things I miss most about turkey hunting these days. It is a very deadly tool in the hardwoods where I hunt.

TN Larry

Every year I have to miss spring fishing due to turkey hunting. This year I don't think I'll miss much fishing.
I started out not turkey hunting because of spring fishing. Then, I started turkey hunting but fishing was still number one. About 8 or 10 years ago, I started enjoying turkey hunting more and more so it's been a struggle between the two. Basically, it's been hunting of the morning and fishing of the afternoon.

Andy S.

Basically, it's been hunting of the morning and fishing of the afternoon.
A lot of the old heads who showed me the ropes practiced this same routine back in the 90s/2000s. They oftentimes lived a more simpler lifestyle than most these days and appeared to have more free time so to speak. They were the best role models for me and many others.

timberjack86

First tom is dead. IF i have found an absolute giant somewhere, I may save the 2nd tag for him. I'm still enamored by 1.5in+ spurs. Once I'm tagged out and friends and family are tagged out, I'll prob keep hunting and just leave the shotgun at home and bring a video camera.
IMG_20191123_181941785~2.jpg

1.5 spurs like these? Wish I had a picture with the tape on them.

Atchman2

I have only shot one for the last 3-4 years with the population decline around me. So it doesn't really affect me. Plus I fish way more now. Not as mad at the turkeys anymore.
"Not as mad at the turkeys anymore"-I like that! It is also the good start to bow fishing too! In fact I can bow fish for two weeks before turkey hunting. :p

Spurhunter

I started out not turkey hunting because of spring fishing. Then, I started turkey hunting but fishing was still number one. About 8 or 10 years ago, I started enjoying turkey hunting more and more so it's been a struggle between the two. Basically, it's been hunting of the morning and fishing of the afternoon.
When they are gobbling, I'd rather turkey hunt than fish any day. When the woods are silent and I am deer hunting them I'd much rather be fishing. I wish I knew the days they would gobble!

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
I've never tagged out. But I'm killing any legal bird this year (okay, probably not a bearded hen)—when I'm good enough at the game to pick and choose, I'll probably tag out as soon as possible. I don't mind switching to fishing the rest of the season.

Kelljp

A lot of the old heads who showed me the ropes practiced this same routine back in the 90s/2000s. They oftentimes lived a more simpler lifestyle than most these days and appeared to have more free time so to speak. They were the best role models for me and many others.
It was an easier decision back then with legal shooting stopping at noon.

TheLBLman

Back in the 80's & 90's, when TN had a 2-bird turkey limit, I remember several times "limiting out" the first weekend of the season. And, actually liked to do that, just so I could then focus on early April fishing. Early April is just generally the most wonderful time to be on the water.

But when the turkey limit went to 3, then 4, I started turkey hunting the month of April, at the expense of fishing.

Maybe it sounds somewhat "sacrilegious" to some of you, but I'm kinda just SOMEWHAT "over" turkey hunting, and actually looking more forward to fishing this year the 1st two weeks of April.

Not that I don't really enjoy turkey hunting, but I figure my best turkey hunting is behind me, and it was back in the 90's and early 2000's. Not sure exactly all the reasons, but back then, Toms were simply more vocal, at least in the places I hunted then and still hunt now.

Setterman

Back in the 80's & 90's, when TN had a 2-bird turkey limit, I remember several times "limiting out" the first weekend of the season. And, actually liked to do that, just so I could then focus on early April fishing. Early April is just generally the most wonderful time to be on the water.

But when the turkey limit went to 3, then 4, I started turkey hunting the month of April, at the expense of fishing.

Maybe it sounds somewhat "sacrilegious" to some of you, but I'm kinda just SOMEWHAT "over" turkey hunting, and actually looking more forward to fishing this year the 1st two weeks of April.

Not that I don't really enjoy turkey hunting, but I figure my best turkey hunting is behind me, and it was back in the 90's and early 2000's. Not sure exactly all the reasons, but back then, Toms were simply more vocal, at least in the places I hunted then and still hunt now.
Funny you say that, I've been fishing all winter and having a blast. By now I'm usually chomping to chase turkeys but barely have even thought about it. I'll get there but the fire isn't burning as hot as it has in the past sadly

Kelljp

I guess I should have been a guide. After the first tom, I get real selective. Or maybe I'm just cheap and don't want buy a license in North Carolina or Virginia to keep hunting.

megalomaniac

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230307_184901_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230307_184901_Gallery.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot_20230307_184808_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230307_184808_Gallery.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot_20230307_184750_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230307_184750_Gallery.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 35

Atchman2

First two longbeards will be shot. My family loves eating them as much as I love hunting them
That is the most expensive turkey they will ever eat too! I hunt in Kansas, which of course takes significant money to travel, then their out of state license fee is large, not to mention all of my hunting gear. I figured out that the meat we ate was like $3 per ounce! Normal turkeys can be found for less than a dollar per pound. :p (BTW Kansas has reduced their bag limit to ONE BIRD!)

Latest posts