Serious questions as season approaches!

PalsPal

Will the 2 bird limit affect your decisions on which birds you take?

Ex. Opening morning, you have multiple birds hammering and answering. But a silent 2 yr old comes in. Do you shoot?

Ex 2 You kill opening day. Your next hunt, you're presented with a quick kill opportunity. Do you end your season?

Honestly, I'm not sure how I'd answer. I do have others that I can take, so that factors.

I just want to have as many memorable hunts as possible.

Curious if you'll approach it differently?

CHRIS WILSON

Yeah, I'll probably be sizing up every bird that comes in this year with a bit more scrutiny. Whether or not I end my season early depends on the bird that comes in. If I do, at least I'll be done before the weather starts getting really warm/hot

Last edited:

deerfever

I feel for the guys that got a quota draw for late in the season. They will definitely have a decision if they harvest a gobbler Early since quota hunts are not a bonus bird. Continue to hunt and kill out or save your tag for the quota hunt?

deerfever

If I am fortunate enough to kill out myself, I will call for my son, wife, buddies kids or whoever I can convince to go. I will also buy a license and hunt out of state somewhere if needed. I don't know how long I have left to hunt , I will make the most of it while my health and the Lord allows . I am addicted to chasing them!

Hymie3

Prob won't be too picky on any mature bird. I don't kill jakes, never have and never will. Not being judgey, just my personal deal. But all else beware! If I am fortunate enough to score opening day I may wait a bit to go again. Part of my love for this season is going several times and being in the woods again.

themanpcl

Will the 2 bird limit affect your decisions on which birds you take?

Ex. Opening morning, you have multiple birds hammering and answering. But a silent 2 yr old comes in. Do you shoot?

Ex 2 You kill opening day. Your next hunt, you're presented with a quick kill opportunity. Do you end your season?

Honestly, I'm not sure how I'd answer. I do have others that I can take, so that factors.

I just want to have as many memorable hunts as possible.

Curious if you'll approach it differently?
Just me but no change on decisions I make with bag limit of 2 vs 3. I video my hunts so if I get one on day 1 and an opportunity on day 2, I will take it and end the season. That just means I start fishing earlier this year..lol...But, I won't shoot just any bird. I'm one of those who doesn't mind tag soup on birds or bucks if they don't meet my spec. It won't keep me up at night if I don't tag out and I don't "need" one enough to take a lesser bird.

Andy S.

I'll likely shoot the first two longboards that play the game. I have never been able to measure spurs as they approach me in the hardwoods, thus no sizing them up for the most part. IMO, it is basically a two week season now, for the MAJORITY of hunters, especially in SW TN. For the past 25 years, I have hunted in some form or fashion until season ends (mid May). The roads, parking spots, etc are basically a ghost town after May 1, as most hunters are done and moved on to something else (ball season, fishing, etc), or want no part of the heat/humidity/ticks/snakes/etc. I'm anxious to see what the statewide kill is on April 30th and compare that to the final kill on May 28th.

Spurhunter

I doubt I even get a chance. My lease is timber company land. Around mid April it greens up overnight and gets thick immediately. The next day the birds all leave and go to the cow pastures surrounding my place. I can hear them gobbling and even see them in the pastures in the distance sometimes, but they aren't leaving those pretty pastures to come into a thicket. We usually get 2 good weeks of hunting before green up. Occasionally we get 3. This year season will be closed during that time. I have places to hunt in MS but so far I'm not fired up enough to buy a $400 license.

Buzzard Breath

If I hunt them at all, I'll be shooting the first 2 longbeards that come in. Last year's crowds did me in. After several run-ins with some complete a-holes, I've lost all desire to turkey hunt. The only reason I keep telling myself I need to give it one more chance, is because I've been at it for right around 30 years and have a hard time accepting what this sport has become. If I hunt, it'll be a road trip to some big woods WMA where I can get away.

Andy S.

If I hunt them at all, I'll be shooting the first 2 longbeards that come in. Last year's crowds did me in. After several run-ins with some complete a-holes, I've lost all desire to turkey hunt.
This stinks to hear from a hardcore loyal TN resident with a passion for the outdoors. Hopefully the new season structure and reduced bag limit will allow you and others to enjoy the sport as you did for many years before all of the overcrowding started.

ROVERBOY

I don't have a problem with killing a 2 year old but, will probably size them up hoping it's older than that. I've not killed a Jake in a long time. Maybe this season will be better. I didn't get a bird last year. First time like that since 2009.

NumberOne

I have only shot one for the last 3-4 years with the population decline around me. So it doesn't really affect me. Plus I fish way more now. Not as mad at the turkeys anymore.

Latest posts