Season Goals

batten_down

Every year I try to have at least one goal. Normally i have a few. In the past it's been things like: spend more hours on stand, be in my stand earlier, see another piece of public, shoot more does, etc. This year my number one goal is to improve my scent control. I've always taken scent control seriously, but I don't know if I've developed some bad habits or what, but I had more deer bust me last year than I am comfortable with. I always have the wind in mind prior to planning my hunt, and factor in everything when it comes to entering and exiting my stand site. And i hunt high too, 20'+ most times. Still I had too many encounters go bad. So going back to some of my old best practices and would welcome any tips or tricks that ya'll believe in for scent control.

Also, and more to the point of the thread, what are some of the goals you guys have going into this season?

Ski

I usually just make sure I'm clean as can be (within reason) and my clothes are clean. I don't worry too much about scent free soaps or cover scents or keeping my clothes in a scent free tote, nothing like that. Scent control is one of those diminishing returns kind of things, meaning the basic stuff gets the most result and everything beyond only gets minimal gains. At least that's been my experience. That said, I do pay close attention to sniff my harness, backpack, etc. before leaving for a sit because those things absorb stink and hold it. I spray them and my boots down with scent spray. Otherwise that's the extent of my scent control.

My goal this year is to crank up the effort & aggressiveness a bit. This past season was a bit lackluster and it had me daydreaming of bygone seasons when I worked hard to make things happen. I've gotten so lax with my hunts anymore that it's almost like I expect the dang bucks to come offering themselves at my feet for sacrifice. I think I gotta knock the rust off and start hunting again.

Hduke86

My one and only goal is to not spend most of November laying on the couch with covid. That would be a major improvement over last year.
I hope you accomplish that goal also cause November is the best month and I surely don't want to see anyone miss it cause of the freaking china flu

buckbstr_1

I am going to the dr and asking for hydro chloroquine and ivermectin for my usual November covid acquisition. The last two years I have had this crap and ruined the best part of hunting. I desperately need some alone time in the woods of west tn. I pray it is not too much to ask.

BSK

My first goal is to try and enjoy myself a bit more. Our hunting is definitely a "family affair" with family coming in from all over the country to hunt the first week of MZ. As sort of the "hunt master" - I place all of the stands, do the food plot work, manage the habitat, and try to help other hunters pick the right stands and be successful - I put a lot of pressure on myself to make sure everyone is having a good hunt. Yet the family have told me the real point is just to be together and enjoy the experience. So my first goal is to take that to heart, and just enjoy the company.

My second goal will only occur if I don't connect early in the season. Because we have an early and intense rut, after Thanksgiving week our older buck sightings decline dramatically. I tend to get down and lose the drive to hunt after that. But what I've learned from all my recent trail-camera research is that just because the peak of the rut is over, doesn't mean the rut is over. Almost every year I'll get estrus chases on camera in daylight into mid-December. They aren't anywhere near as frequent as during the peak of the rut in mid-November, but they still happen. So I'll have to remind myself not to give up and keep at it.

Last edited:

Bass1090

Great thread!

My 1st goal is to be thankful and PTL for another deer season.
My 2nd goal is to be a good steward of the lease just like it's my property.
My 3rd goal, one that has helped me greatly the last decade or so, NO BAD SITS. If I'm on the lease it's a little easier to do this as I understand movement and patterns etc…On public, or a draw hunt this is a little tougher especially if you can't scout it. I have made myself get down many mornings and move after daylight because I can't see like I want to or I'm to close to cover or trails etc…I'd rather chance getting busted once while moving vs. all day for not being set up correctly or close to correctly.

Last edited:

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
This year is to kill a buck. Been a couple years since I have, so I feel more motivated than I've been in awhile.
Another thing is to trust my instincts rather than just letting myself think my way into something. You know deep down when what you're thinking aligns with your gut instinct and when it doesn't. Need to key in on that more.

Kyboy

My number one goal this year is to hunt opening day of rifle with my dad. Haven't had the chance to in ten + years.

Latest posts