Scouting Yanahli WMA

rickystyx

2-Step Enabled
Good morning! I'm starting to look at public whitetail hunting around Rutherford County and have targeted the Yanahli WMA just south of Columbia, TN. Before I head down there to look around does anyone here know about its good, bad, and ugly?

Lost Lake

It's a good WMA, although I've about quit stepping foot on it in the last few years. During Muzzleloader and early Rifle, you'll need to bring a tree to hang your stand from, as it's really crowded. Not trying to discourage you, but it's busy.

Some rolling ridges, but a lot of cedar and limestone glades. Avoid other hunters and you'll see deer.

Good luck to you.

Weegee

Good morning! I'm starting to look at public whitetail hunting around Rutherford County and have targeted the Yanahli WMA just south of Columbia, TN. Before I head down there to look around does anyone here know about its good, bad, and ugly?
It's got a reputation for being super crowded during gun season. I mainly hunt with the smoke pole there. It's so chopped up that there are lots of little hidey holes if you spend some time looking around. Just have a good map or OnX to make sure you're on the right side of the property line. And don't waste your time hunting big fields.

rickystyx

2-Step Enabled
It's a good WMA, although I've about quit stepping foot on it in the last few years. During Muzzleloader and early Rifle, you'll need to bring a tree to hang your stand from, as it's really crowded. Not trying to discourage you, but it's busy.

Some rolling ridges, but a lot of cedar and limestone glades. Avoid other hunters and you'll see deer.

Good luck to you.
Thank you for the insight. I was afraid of that, it being overcrowded. There doesn't seem to be a WMA in middle Tennessee that isn't pressured hard during rifle season. Does it stay that way? I have no problem sitting under a tree mid- to late-December.

Lost Lake

Thank you for the insight. I was afraid of that, it being overcrowded. There doesn't seem to be a WMA in middle Tennessee that isn't pressured hard during rifle season. Does it stay that way? I have no problem sitting under a tree mid- to late-December.
It's not nearly as bad in December. A few weeks after the flurry of activity from opening of Muzzleloader and til Thanksgiving, it's better.

If you can avoid community parking spots, your chances of being walked in on (or walking in on others) aren't as bad.

It's typical public land, and just requires a different mindset, and lots of patience.

Mescalero

It's broken up. I hunted a piece last year that got pressure, but no where near the orange army that shows up on other pieces that I've tried to hunt before. If you have a canoe/boat, there are pieces that can only be accessed from the Duck.

Latest posts