Savage Axis II 300 Blk tweak

Cherokee

Bought a Savage Asis II in 300 Blk the other day. I had read reviews and knew to expect that the bolt would be stiff on opening. I did not expect it to be THAT stiff. I don't mind tweaking' things a bit as long as it is not critical stuff like headspace and stuff.
Just to make sure - THIS IS NOT ADVICE OR INSTRUCTIONS! I'm just sharing what I did and the results.
When the Savage bolt is closed, the cocking piece pin is disengaged from the resting spot on the bolt body and is resting on the trigger assembly waiting to be turned loose. As the bolt is rotated to open, if the trigger has been pulled, the cocking pin piece is pulled rearward, compressing the firing pin spring, by the angular ramp milled into the bolt body. There is not much you can do about the force required to do that other than some polishing, lubricating, or having a weaker firing pin spring. What can be done to help a little is to reduce the amount of firing pin retraction. This helps a tremendous amount when opening the bolt if the trigger has not been pulled. On mine, the firing pin was retracted an additional 0.078" from it's resting spot on the trigger assembly when the bolt was opened. By modifying (removing a little material) on the bolt body I reduced that lift to 0.010". It went from a hard left hand grip on the stock and palm of the right hand on the bolt handle to operate to two finger operation. I did check the security of the cocking piece pin in the bolt body and there was no perceptible change in the force required to de-chocolate chip cookie with the bolt removed.
I'm happy with the results. It's not a Tikka, but for the price of the rifle...

DaveB

Yep, have three of the Axis line.

All are amazingly accurate

BUT

Oh boy the bolt can be stiff indeed. Not as difficult as you describe but not like a Browning X-Bolt either.

Our solution was some oil and work the bolt. Several hours at a time. Over several months IIRC.

Had the same issue with working the slide on a Beretta 92FS. Same solution.

Tenntrapper

Yep, have three of the Axis line.

All are amazingly accurate

BUT

Oh boy the bolt can be stiff indeed. Not as difficult as you describe but not like a Browning X-Bolt either.

Our solution was some oil and work the bolt. Several hours at a time. Over several months IIRC.

Had the same issue with working the slide on a Beretta 92FS. Same solution.
What does it take to get that spongy feeling out of the bolt....or is it even possible?

Also, on the Ruger American...that dang zipper sound. A 1500 grit polishing belt on the belt sander used on the bolt body will take care of that. In case you wanted to know.

Latest posts