rut over in middle TN counties?

catman529

seems like it is over in western maury county, probably is over in williamson too because it was best during ML season, not sure about eastern maury county as I haven't seen any action there and only hunted twice there lately

BSK

2champish said:
what is the best way to hunt bucks after the rut is over in your area then?

I wish I knew (for killing older bucks). We never see or kill older bucks post-rut. Basically, if you haven't gotten one in November, you're SOL on my place.

knightrider

BSK said:
Rut is just about completely over in my area (western Humphreys County). We have no second rut.
so your saying all the does got bred in their first cycle if thats the case you have way more bucks than does. :confused:

Bone Collector

I would say it is over in Rutherford and most of Wilson. Generally we do get a 2nd rut but if you blink you may miss it.

big bucks post rut are hard. I would try to figure out where he is bedding, and with a favorable wind hunt just outside that area.

BSK

knightrider said:
BSK said:
Rut is just about completely over in my area (western Humphreys County). We have no second rut.
so your saying all the does got bred in their first cycle if thats the case you have way more bucks than does. :confused:

Even in areas with more does than bucks, the vast majority of does get bred their first cycle. From what I have seen biologically, the "2nd rut" is more of a chemically induced "false" rut than a real rut, in that although bucks show a distinct peak in chasing about a month after the peak of breeding, few actual conceptions result.

But yes, locally we have about 0.8 does per buck, and the sex ratio has been that way (very locally) for a couple of years.

bowriter

R.I.P.
2champish said:

Since deer don't smoke, they crave food instead. In an intense rut, bucks can lose up to 30% of their body weight. When it is over, they are hungry. Hunt food sources. Unfortunately, by the time the rut is over, many of the mature bucks are nocturnal. This is when good woodland food sources are the most productive.

Hardwoodmaterials

Me and the guys on our lease in Lewis Co. just started seeing some chasing starting Friday and the bucks have really been on the move for the last couple days. We wasn't seeing any rut activity at all when everyone else was talking about how great it was in their part of the state.

ROVERBOY

Its been kinda strange here in Clay County, because most guys haven't seen a lot of deer. But, there have been some good deer killed though. I've seen about 7 different bucks so far, and none have been the ones I've got on trail cam. I've not got to hunt as much as I usually do this time. I've not found many rubs this time for some reason, which is weird. I don't know, maybe things will get better.

MUP

BSK said:
2champish said:

I wish I knew (for killing older bucks). We never see or kill older bucks post-rut. Basically, if you haven't gotten one in November, you're SOL on my place.

About the same in my area Bryan. I've only once seen a good mature buck after Nov and it was following a doe on New Years Day in 2000. I missed my opportunity at it too. :cry:

BSK

MUP said:
BSK said:
2champish said:

About the same in my area Bryan. I've only once seen a good mature buck after Nov and it was following a doe on New Years Day in 2000. I missed my opportunity at it too. :cry:

On my property, there is a very short window for having the best odds of seeing/killing a 3 1/2+ buck. That window is the cruising phase which occurs just before peak breeding. Looking at hunter observations over the past, a hunter on my place has about 9 days to see/kill a 3 1/2+ buck, from Nov. 4-12. Before and after that, 3 1/2+ buck sightings are exceedingly rare.

recurve60#

BSK said:
knightrider said:
BSK said:

Even in areas with more does than bucks, the vast majority of does get bred their first cycle. From what I have seen biologically, the "2nd rut" is more of a chemically induced "false" rut than a real rut, in that although bucks show a distinct peak in chasing about a month after the peak of breeding, few actual conceptions result.

But yes, locally we have about 0.8 does per buck, and the sex ratio has been that way (very locally) for a couple of years.

From a males point of view your bucks are going somewhere else for the second rut then. :crazy: :grin:

BSK

recurve60# said:
BSK said:
knightrider said:
BSK said:

From a males point of view your bucks are going somewhere else for the second rut then. :crazy: :grin:

HA! Surprisingly, they don't leave. They just go VERY nocturnal. :(

Latest posts