Ruger announces 2 new cartridges

.444 Marlin

.300 RCM and .338 RCM (Ruger Compact Magnum)

Buy you a copy of this months Petersons Hunting and check it out.
They claim the .300RCM is basically the same in ballistics as the .300WSM but tops it in performance in guns with a 20" barrel.

Tiny

BTW
G&A has or had an article on them as does the current Rifle Shooter.

Whelen Man

R.I.P.
How many times do we need to reinvent the wheel though? I think the majority of new cartridges are just marketing ploys. It's fine if you're a reloader but how many different case designs can a gun store stock? I wish they would come up with a truly new idea but it seems we're stuck in a marketing mode like Rambo XXX. That said, I may have to get one....marketing works.

.444 Marlin

I think my next gun is gonna be in 7mm cause I want somethin small enough to not completely destroy coyotes and whistlepigs yet still be big enough to kill big game.

Tiny

Although I feel the same as Whelen Man and Model 70 above thsse do have acouple things going for them that could keep'em around.

IMO
The biggeest thing is going to be the If they are "Covered" or "Outside" the Jameison patent on the WSM WSSM's.If covered I wouldn't think they will be around long if not they could stick around and maybe put a damper on the WSM.Time will tale.

The only difference in the RCM rounds and the other short magnums is the powder being used. I don't see it making it in a already flooded market. The RSAUMs will not be in production in 10 years or less IMO.

Tiny

Hillbilly Hunter said:
The only difference in the RCM rounds and the other short magnums is the powder being used. I don't see it making it in a already flooded market. The RSAUMs will not be in production in 10 years or less IMO.

Ditto the SAUM but there differences in the RCM's over both besides the powder.The cases are said to be smaller in Dia makeing them to fit existing short actions with standard bolt faces of 308 dia, 0.475" if I recall correctly. Will hold 4+1.Even then I don't see them makeing it either.

BTW some of those special powders are supposed to be coming 1 from Hodgdon and 1 from Win.

Whelen Man

R.I.P.
444marlin said:
What we could use is a true "short action" magnum. Like a .22 mag length action but for a cartridge like the WSSM's but in somethin like a 6.5 or 7mm.

I vote for a successful caseless ammo and rifle for the sportsmen. That would do what you say and more. They've been developed for military use but I haven't heard anything about the concept in a while.

Latest posts