Ruger American Gen 2 ranch 16” 308

jmoreland

Ordered one of these and it should be in mid week. Trying to decide what scope to put on it. I have a vortex viper 2.5-10 and a zeiss conquest 4.5-14x44 on the shelf but really don't know if either of those are what I want to mount. Minimum would be a 3-9, but just getting some opinions. I love the zeiss and have that scope mounted on several others but not sure about it on a 16" barrel.

BigCityBubba

With a 6.5 pound rifle with a 16 inch barrel, it seems like you would want to put the lightest scope possible with a low end magnification range. Seems like the perfect dense woods hunting rifle. As mentioned above, it really has to do with the intended purpose of the rifle. The swfa ultralight 2.5-10x32 seems perfect on paper but I have no experience with it. In the same basic price range you also have the luepold vx freedom 3-9x40. If you could find a used vortex razor hd lh 1.5-8x32, that seems like another great choice.

Of the 2 you listed, I would go with the viper because the power range seems more appropriate for the rifle. The zeiss has better glass but I would prefer a 2.5x magnification over a 4.5x magnification on the low end. You will get a much better field of view with the vortex. If you are just going to be shooting at the range and maybe some open field type hunting, the zeiss would be the better choice.

Last edited:

redblood

Ordered one of these and it should be in mid week. Trying to decide what scope to put on it. I have a vortex viper 2.5-10 and a zeiss conquest 4.5-14x44 on the shelf but really don't know if either of those are what I want to mount. Minimum would be a 3-9, but just getting some opinions. I love the zeiss and have that scope mounted on several others but not sure about it on a 16" barrel.
too much scope and too much weight on a short barrel leads to balance and point ability issue. id look for a lightweight scope- 10 to 12 oz max

jmoreland

Ended up mounting the vortex for now. Ruger really stepped it up on the Gen 2's. This little rifle feels great.

Attachments

• IMG_7603.jpeg
    IMG_7603.jpeg
    259.1 KB · Views: 26

Latest posts