Round Ball or Conical?

A

Anonymous

Hickory Nut said:
I would really appreciate some opinions on muzzleloading projectiles. I've got a replica .45 cal. plains rifle (Traditions) with a 1:48" twist. I've always shot patched round balls at the range and have not hunted much with this rifle. I want to use it during the upcomming muzzleloading season and would like to try some of the newer projectiles. Would anyone have some adive on a good choice?

I would like to see what combo works best for you. I too am shooting a TC w/ 1:48 twist. Over the years I've shot a big conical but can't seem to find the "best load" for accuracy. I've tried several different combos w/ round balls and maxiballs w/ pyrodex and black powder. It seems that 1:48 twist is just "ok" for both but not the best for either. Interested to see what you go with.

majg1234

try some MAXI-HUNTERS in .45 with 70g FFFg they work OK out of a Cherokee (kick like a mule in that lite rifle) groups are less than 2" @ 75yrds,I won't use it out further than that.The rifle is not as accurate as my Omega or GreyHawk but it is a joy to carry

BSK

majg1234,

If you want to feel "kick" I'll introduce you to my Kodiak Express double-barrel 58 shooting 120 grn FFg pushing 620 grn lead conicals. I break into a cold sweat just thinking about shooting that gun!

CHRIS WILSON

If you want to feel "kick" I'll introduce you to my Kodiak Express double-barrel 58 shooting 120 grn FFg pushing 620 grn lead conicals. I break into a cold sweat just thinking about shooting that gun!
You big sissy!
1132504455-5.gif

CHRIS WILSON

I can believe it. I'd be a little shy about touching that load off as well. I don't mind recoil, but that's probably pushing it just a bit. :grin:

majg1234

majg1234,

Sounds Baaaaad, would like to try it once!!!don't know why the cherokee seems to kick so bad,I regularly shoot 375H&H 458winmag and 416 rem mag but that little cherokee kicks!!!!!

BSK

majg1234,

I firmly believe it is stock design. Plus the fact my double-barrel has no recoil pad, just a brass butt-plate. Ouch!

Latest posts