Food Plots Rocky food plot soils

BSK

That's exactly what I have to deal with. Getting good growth really is a coin toss as I'm at the mercy of nature. I've really considered having a dozer create a shallow reservoir where my plots are and hauling in truckloads of topsoil. Considering the time, money,and effort I waste year in year out on trying every other idea, I'd probably be money ahead going with the topsoil.

What does a truckload of topsoil cost?

Ski

What does a truckload of topsoil cost?

About $200 last time I checked in my area. I figured it up once to be roughly $10K/acre at 3" depth. That's just dumped, not spread, and doesn't include excavation cost for the reservoir. But it's a pipe dream for me. Wouldn't work on my place anyway. Terrain is too steep for a dump truck and no roads to access plots. Otherwise I'd probably actually try it out. By the time I achieve 3" of topsoil naturally over time by planting & allowing organic matter to accumulate, the cost I will have incurred in time, energy, equipment, seed, fuel, chemicals, etc. will far exceed $10K. From a practical point bringing in topsoil is cheaper, faster, and more effective as I could have great plots beginning immediately. But my luck I'd do it and a flash flood would wash it all away first season.

Mattt

Native seed bank is hard to beat. I've mowed twice already and if I'd been home with the rain we've had could have 3 times probably. Haven't applied any amendments yet, will soon. 34/0/0 is ridiculous if you don't burn it up. Sour gum/Sudan all summer, wheat in first year winter. Same second summer them fall planting for fescue based pasture. The food plot mixes will be different I'm sure so bsk and a couple others here will know better but if my no green thumb having butt can grow cow pasture that looks like a lawn y'all should be able to get the plots going. I have the same ground, all chert.

BSK

Started work on my rock fields yesterday. Mowed half my plots (including the one I took the picture in). In a week, after some regrowth, I'll spray. Then a week after that, till shallow and plant. I'm doing half of my plots at a time. That way, a crop failure due to short-term conditions will only get half the plots instead of all of them.

BSK

About $200 last time I checked in my area. I figured it up once to be roughly $10K/acre at 3" depth. That's just dumped, not spread, and doesn't include excavation cost for the reservoir. But it's a pipe dream for me. Wouldn't work on my place anyway. Terrain is too steep for a dump truck and no roads to access plots. Otherwise I'd probably actually try it out. By the time I achieve 3" of topsoil naturally over time by planting & allowing organic matter to accumulate, the cost I will have incurred in time, energy, equipment, seed, fuel, chemicals, etc. will far exceed $10K. From a practical point bringing in topsoil is cheaper, faster, and more effective as I could have great plots beginning immediately. But my luck I'd do it and a flash flood would wash it all away first season.
Ouch. That's a bit rich for my blood.

I guess I'll just have to accept that my plots are never going to grow anything but buckwheat, wheat, and crimson clover in fall. And I need to stop wasting money on summer crops (and all the ground prep). Just let those rock fields go to grass and weeds in summer and then incorporate that into the soil.

Ski

Ouch. That's a bit rich for my blood.

I guess I'll just have to accept that my plots are never going to grow anything but buckwheat, wheat, and crimson clover in fall. And I need to stop wasting money on summer crops (and all the ground prep). Just let those rock fields go to grass and weeds in summer and then incorporate that into the soil.

That's exactly why I haven't done it. I can't justify the upfront cost when it's just an experiment that may or may not pan out. Your last line exactly sums up where I'm at. I'll focus on fall plots and let nature handle the summers. I wish I could get nice lush pretty plots with easily worked soils, but it just doesn't seem to be possible on my ground. There's a good reason nobody before me has farmed it.

Latest posts