Remington 760 / 7600 RIfle

TN Larry

I am considering changing the stock on my Remington 760 rifle. I have found a stock for a 7600 but have not found what I want that specifically states for a 760. I am wondering how I can find out if the 7600 stock will fit on the 760. I did find one stock that said that is was for either a 7600 or 760 which leads me to believe that they should be same stock. They are basically the same rifle ie both pumps by looking at them. I think that the 760 was made prior to the 7600. However, when you look at it on a small scale in terms of changing out the stock and forearm, I am wondering if I would run into any trouble.

Tnyoteboy

Just took a quick look at Remington synthetic replacement stocks and they list a 7600 stock for 7600s 1980 and newer that specifically states "Does not fit 760". I know the forearms are a little different in how they hang but I really can't see the difference. It would be safe to call the customer service line at Remington and ask them. They should be able to tell you anything you need to know.

Hatchee

I've got 760's and 7600's. Never had a problem putting 7600 furniture on my 760.
That's what's on it now. 870 20 guage stocks will fit too.
I've got a Boyd thumbhole stock I'll sell ya for $75.00 shipped.

Some of the very early 760's were different on the forearm because they had a cap, much like an 870 magazine cap and the forearms had the three big diamonds on the underside of the forearm or the "corn cob" slots on the sides of the forearm (like a police model 870).
If your 760 has the large screw in the barrel end of the forearm, it'll change out with the 7600's.

The only thing I've run into that wasn't interchangable was scope bases. The screw holes are different spacings between 760's and 7600's

Hatchee

Go to the Serious Deer Hunting Section and look at the thread "Last Day, Last Minute".
That's my son using my rifle. The rifle is pictured.
It's a 760 made in 1971 and it has a 7600 stock and forearm on it. I know they say pre 81 and post 81 but I've never had a problem...except for the scope bases I mentioned.

TN Larry

Hatchee, thanks for the info. My 760 has the large screw instead of the cap. Concerning your stock, what finish does it have and does it come with the forearm?

Hatchee

It's the brown (nutmeg) finish. No forearm.
Remington760.jpg

huntinman

I have seen those stocks advertised in Cabelas. I wondered what they would look like on a 7600 or 760. Was it tough to install? Why didn't you go with the matching forearm,,,not that it looks bad or anything. I may change 1 of my 3 over to this style furniture.

Hatchee

Installation was not a problem. The hardest part is getting the old stock off. They send a shortened stock bolt that goes through the back if the pistol grip, about where the web of your thumb would go.
Very easy.
The Boyd's forearm didn't have any checkering and was another $35.00.
I just checked the Boyd's website and they're selling the same stock for $65 before shipping.
I'll adjust my price and take $50 shipped.
It was only on the rifle for the week of Thanksgiving '08.

huntinman

So that is a Boyds stock? Looks identical to the Keystone Sporting arms stock in my new Cabela's catalog. I think the stock 7600 forearms look better than the replacement forearm, but i love the look of the thumbhole stock. How is the feel of that stock. Did the swivel screw already come in the stock or did you add it?

Hatchee

Came with everything. Shortened stock screw, sling swivel and recoil pad. Just put it on and you're good to go.
It feels like it was melted and poured around you. Seriously. The rolled cheek piece is perfect and the pistol grip has the right amount of palm swell.

paul jackson

I've got 760's and 7600's. Never had a problem putting 7600 furniture on my 760.

Some of the very early 760's were different on the forearm because they had a cap, much like an 870 magazine cap and the forearms had the three big diamonds on the underside of the forearm or the "corn cob" slots on the sides of the forearm (like a police model 870).
If your 760 has the large screw in the barrel end of the forearm, it'll change out with the 7600's.

The only thing I've run into that wasn't interchangable was scope bases. The screw holes are different spacings between 760's and 7600's
where can i find the 7600. been looking for one

paul jackson

The only thisng I've run into that wasn't interchangable was scope bases. The screw holes are different spacings between 760's and 7600's
would you sell the 7600

Latest posts