Remington 742-Opinions

Remington742

Good gun as long as you keep them clean and don't let them gum up. The other known term for them is the jam master. If you keep them clean though they work flawlessly. Also make sure to use factory ammo and no reloads in them the bolt assembly can't handle hot reloads core lokts shoot best out of mine personally.

Deer Assassin

Antler Daddy

If memory serves me, there is a plastic part in the bolt area that can wear.

Always make sure the bolt is fully forward on the round. Quietly loaded mine once and did not fully engage the bolt. Click

Antler Daddy

Let me add that yes, they are great rifles and .270 is a great round.

I will suggest mounting the scope properly down low. Mine still has some of those crazy see thru mounts which is not good. I've never used the iron sights.

I have a cousin that hunts with one without any scope. He can kill a deer at 100 yards with open sights. I never saw the point in trying though.

slabhead

I carried dad's 2 years ago and killed a deer with it. It had been sitting in my safe since he passed away 21 yrs ago. I used the bullet he had in the clip. I have hunted with them over the years as well as dad...if they are clean they will perform well.

Willysman

When I started hunting with one at the ripe old age of 16 I used the iron sights and killed several deer that way. Then, if anyone is old enough to remember, Weaver came out with swing over mounts so you could use the iron sights. (Still have some) Put those on for several years until finally put a Leopold scope with as low a mounts as I could. I now have one in .280 caliber with engraving on the receiver. Found it in a pawn shop in like new condition.

Boll Weevil

As a young man I had a 7400 in 270 that was barely a 2moa gun at BEST. Just not inherently accurate/precise…at least not that particular rifle. Not sure if the 742 is any better or worse but my auto wasn't accurate/precise at all. Hunted with it a few years, killed deer with it, sold it.

Last edited:

41Magnum

As folks have previously said, keep them clean and use factory loads you should be fine. I have my Dad's that he bought new in 1969. It loves Rem Core-Lokts, 180 gr round nose. Killed my best buck with that rifle in 1986, 11 pt.

41Magnum

Mine works fine except the trigger is awful. Shooting mild reloads without issue
There is a company in Colorado called Accuracy Systems, Inc. that specializes in in Remington 742, 760, 7400, 7600, and other makes as well. You can send them the trigger group from your rifle and they can take all of the creep out and adjust it down to a consistent clean trigger. Some of the groups that they have posted are astounding to say the least especially out of a 742/760 Remington. If your rifle has the potential to be a good shooter and you like the gun, might be worth a try. My .02

Sniper

Have one that was my Dad's. We bought it for him for his bday probably around 1982. We bought it used. It shoots decent but does have the tendency to jam occasionally. Make your first shot count!

Willysman

Have one that was my Dad's. We bought it for him for his bday probably around 1982. We bought it used. It shoots decent but does have the tendency to jam occasionally. Make your first shot count!
Check the clip. Ones that I have seen jam sometimes is caused by a faulty clip. They are a little finicky about them. You can usually find clips on ebay. Just make sure it is a new one and original 742 clip. Some of the newer ones won't work in a 742.

Sniper

Check the clip. Ones that I have seen jam sometimes is caused by a faulty clip. They are a little finicky about them. You can usually find clips on ebay. Just make sure it is a new one and original 742 clip. Some of the newer ones won't work in a 742.
I only have one clip for it so probably need to get another one.

Latest posts