Reloading Shells

Tanner99

With the ammo shortage we are having now and increase in prices, what is yall's opinions on hand loading your duck/goose hunting shells? I was really wanting to try bismuth this year but it is $50 a box and hard to find on top of that. I found where you can buy bags of bismuth shot for a reasonable price. Of course you have to buy hulls (or recycle shot ones which would be even cheaper), primers, wads, and powder, but those are all relatively cheap. Especially when buying in bulk. What does everyone think? Would it be worth it? Has anyone ever tried it and did it save you money overall?

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
Right now, I think primers and powder will be your main issue to find. I don't reload shotgun shells, so I'm really not a ton of help on whether you save anything or not.

Mike F

I do it and it never saved me money until the last year or so. Now it's well worth doing. Hulls, powder, wads, and bismuth are available but primers are the challenge. Sportsmans Warehouse in Murfreesboro had a ton of Cheddite primers in stock this weekend but I'm not keen on loading those into my mainly Winchester AA shells as (from what I've read but have no direct experience) they are not a perfect fit. I use a cheap Lee Loadall press and it works fine for my needs.

Latest posts