Reloading:Is it worth it?

wayne

With the impending doom coming from the results of the last election, is it worth getting started into reloading? Is it worth the hastle of finding components and increased taxes that are sure to come?

Specializedjon

In short...yes it's worth it. I've become VERY popular with my friends and family who used to think I was the crazy "prepper guy" that made his own ammo. Who's laughing now.

Stockpile anything you can get NOW. You can always get the machine later.

Snowwolfe

Only you can answer that. In the long haul reloading can save you a bunch of money and you can tailor loads to each gun you are reloading for. It is also very rewarding to know you loaded the ammo that killed the animal you hunted. Buy components as you find them, stock up when prices and your wallet permit it. It's also a great bonding experience if you have children that hunt. If you enjoy shooting I consider it a must.
I was taught to reload when I was 12 and been reloading now for 55 years. Outside of rimfire ammo, I have never used a factory round to kill a big game animal. Same goes for my son who started visiting with me at the bench when he was about 5. I have no doubt the ammo I load is better than what I could buy.

Some people reload to shoot more. Some people shoot more to reload. If your into it, it can be a very rewarding hobby. If there are increased taxes on components you can bet the same, if not more, taxes will be applied to ammunition.

If you really want to save a bunch of cash start casting bullets for handguns and practice rounds for rifles.

Last edited:

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
It depends on how much you shoot. Components can be a bear to find at times, so stock up to reasonable levels when you find what you need. Some people buy more than they will ever need, either out of panic or to turn a profit, and that is what creates the vacuum

backyardtndeer

Honestly at this point it may be too late. Finding primers seems to be very difficult and has been for a while. Without primers, it is pointless.

But yes if you had the components or were able to get them it is definitely worth it.

Safari Hunt

Yes, primers are rare as a pork chop at a bar mitzvah. To me, reloading part of the fun of shooting. Google for "reloading cost calculators" and you can compare costs. Several online.

brassmagnet

A little bit late to get started but if it was me, l would be snagging everything I could find in whatever caliber you shoot. It won't get cheaper. $30.00 a thousand for primers won't come back cause they know what people will pay.

gtk

Staff member
i reload mainly for rifles, and i have a single stage. I buy components before i need them, and usually have a good stock on hand. As others have stated, taking an animal with a reloaded round that you fine tuned for your rifle is very rewarding.

if i was going to reload seriously for pistol, i would get a progressive reloader. I dont enjoy loading for pistol with a single stage reloader. And as above, i would stock up "Before" the lean times. I have a ton of pistol primers that i got over the years, but pistol ammo got so cheap it was quicker/easier to buy. I may have to start using my supplies soon if I can't find any in stock soon.

KPH

Right now I would not get into reloading. It is almost impossible to find components and what you do find is prized out of the roof. If you think you will save money you may and may not. There is always something else to help me reload that I want. I also belive we will see ammo come back before we do reloading components, because the components will go to making ammo before it goes to the loaders. You do what you want to but I bet it will be a year or two before we see any relive in reloading components.

Hunter 257W

It is definitely worth it if you shoot much. You not only save money but you greatly reduce the chance of suddenly running out of ammo since most items are bought in quantities of at least 50 rather than 20 rounds of factory ammo. Bullets tend to be the one component that you build a load around and they are either sold 50 or 100 at a time. A pound of powder will load from 100 to 200 rounds for most rifle cartridges. Once you find a powder you like, you want to buy 8 lbs at a time and primers are usually bought at least 1,000 at once. I like to buy them by the case of 5,000 to minimize the Hazardous Material shipping charge. Once you build up a stock of components, you never suddenly run out of ammo. Also your components would all be from the same lot that you are sighted with if you shoot up all your loaded ammo and need to load more with components already on hand. You don't have that luxury with factory ammo.

As Snowwolfe said, if you can cast your own bullets you really cut cost but not sure I'd recommend getting into casting right now with scrap lead being so hard to find. There are however sources for certified lead alloys that are still much cheaper than jacketed bullets. Contrary to popular belief lead can be used in a lot of lower velocity woods deer rifles to fully match jacketed bullet performance. As long as velocity don't exceed more than about 2,200 ft/sec and bullet fit is right you can easily work up hunting loads with lead alloy bullets.

As others have said though, right now is a bad time to buy anything gun related. Darned near everything is sold out. Primers are almost extinct. Glad I stocked up when President Trump was in his early term and sales were offered with free Haz Mat on large primer orders. Wish I had bought even more.

Lost Lake

I think it's worth it. I remember how hard it was to find components a few years back, but I can't imagine how hard it would be to find them now. Still, I'd try.

If things were "normal", I'd say a casual shooter would be fine with stocking up on factory ammo instead of reloading.

But loading for not so popular cartridges is cheaper than buying factory, after the initial investment in tools/supplies. The price of that ammo makes reloading look a whole lot better.

I use cartridges like the .375 Winchester, .444., 45/70, and 8x57, and I'd much rather load for those than buy factory.

JMO

Safari Hunt

I got a great price on shotgun shell primers at a closeout at Benton Shooters Supply. I remember the time that they had all kinds of shotgun shell reloading stuff. Now zero! I used to shoot competitive trap many years ago. I was reloading at half the price of loaded shells at any store.

reloadxx

2-Step Enabled
I'm going to say start reloading I don't shoot alot but I have alof of ammo for me. Main thing is start buying components now thats what will be hard to get ahold of